Cracked Dyed Hardboiled Eggs

April 2, 2012

*If you like recipes like these be sure to stop by my new E-cookbook E-licious and use code EASTER99 to get the book 90% off, making it only .99 cents for now through Easter Sunday only.

Easter time, means tons of eggs in our household chicken eggs, Easter eggs, and more eggs.  Especially since my chickens are laying so well this spring, in fact I picked no less than 18 eggs today alone. So when I saw this cute idea on facebook the other day I knew I had to try it immediately.  Now I am not new to dying eggs, or hard boiling them, but to do them in this manner is completely new to me.

And a fun thing to do with the kids and good use of all our eggs, double win to me.

So first we started off with some lovely eggs from our hens and various shades of edible food dyes.

In a large pot of water add the eggs, until just covered and a healthy amount of salt.  I am boiling about 15 eggs here.

Set the eggs to a rolling boil, boil 1 minute.

Then turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile set out tall glasses to use for dying.

and put a good amount of food coloring in each one.

Along with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar it helps develop the color.

Add water until halfway full and stir well.  You don’t want to add too much water, because when you add the eggs it will overflow.

When the eggs are done, dump out the hot water and add cold water and tons of ice.  Let sit about 5 minutes.

Then remove the eggs and get to cracking,  try to get even crack on all sides.

The boys loved helping with this.

*sorry for the undies pic, my boys live in their undies, I just can’t keep clothes on those two.

Hard to see all the cracks, but they are there.

Then slowly add the eggs to the colored water.  I had 2-3 in each glass.  Put in the fridge for at least a few hours to overnight.  The longer they sit the darker the color.

then slowly remove the shell very carefully to see the pretty crack lines.

Cut in half, make deviled eggs, or sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and enjoy.

They turned out so pretty, almost too pretty to eat.

The orange, blue, purple and red turned out the best.  The yellow and green were very light.

The boys couldn’t wait to eat them!  We had so much fun making these.

Why stop there, we went ahead and made them into deviled eggs.

I just love the bright vibrant colors, it makes them so much fun to eat!

The boys just love them.  Orange seems to be their favorite color.

Cracked Dyed Hard boiled Eggs

Eggs
food coloring (blue, purple, red, orange work best)
white vinegar
water

Bring eggs to a rolling boil, boil 1 minutes then turn off heat and sit for 15 minutes, then quickly immerse eggs in ice water and let sit 5 minutes. In each tall glass add food coloring, 1 tablespoon of vinegar and fill with water half way full, stir well. Take eggs out of ice bath, and crack all over, leaving the shell in tact. Add 2-3 eggs to each glass full of food coloring and let sit 4-8 hours or overnight. The longer the darker the color. Remove shells tp reveal the pretty colored cracks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

Lady Behind the Curtain » Menu & Party Idea Round Up-Cast Party #35
April 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Dinosaur Easter Eggs « 'lil Burghers
April 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm
Lady Behind the Curtain » Cast Party Wednesday – Link Party #36
April 11, 2012 at 1:01 am
» Easter Eggs
March 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm
The Incredible Edible (Dragon) Egg | The Year of Halloween
April 18, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Cole April 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oh, I love this idea!! I’ll be passing it along to all my friends. Thanks so much for sharing with Tuesday’s at the Table!

Lady Behind the Curtain » Menu & Party Idea Round Up-Cast Party #35 April 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

[...] Cracked Dyed Easter Eggs by Newlyweds [...]

Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your Easter recipe is being featured at Menu & Party Idea Round Up.
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday. Please grab a “featured” button.
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?page_id=1844 —Sheryl—

Jodi April 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

very cool idea! our eggs are in the fridge as I write. we’ll see how they turn out!!

Trish Southard April 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I am boiling the eggs and we are going to try this! Dying Easter eggs is a bit of a competition at our house. Thanks for the advantage!

TK April 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Do you have to use food coloring or can you use the the actual Easter egg dye or are they the same thing? Im new to this…

I think you can use the Easter egg dye too (that comes in the kits), though the colors may not be as intense.

Abby April 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

We loved these! I think they would be so fun at Halloween as bloodshot eyes!!

Miz Helen April 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

Jenna,
Your little guy is just adorable! Your Cracked Dyed Eggs look beautiful, we always dye eggs it is part of our traditions. Hope you have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!

Amber April 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Such a cool idea, I will have to remember this for next time I am making deviled eggs (why wait until next Easter). Oh and my boys like to be in their undies also, so you are not alone!

Dinosaur Easter Eggs « 'lil Burghers April 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

[...] to a post over at Newlyweds Blog, I got the idea to make (what the kids called) Dinosaur Easter Eggs which then turned into deviled [...]

Lady Behind the Curtain » Cast Party Wednesday – Link Party #36 April 11, 2012 at 1:01 am

[...] by Everyday Moms Meals; Hot Cross Buns by The Traveling Spoon; Easter Pops by A Little Treat; Cracked Dyed Easter Eggs by Newlyweds; Bunny Tail Pops by Sweet Simple Stuff; Easter Egg Breakfast Pastries by Hungry [...]

Miz Helen April 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a wonderful week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!

» Easter Eggs March 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm

[...] I will finish with this picture and idea and let you zip over to the Newlyweds-blog for the instructions. http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2012/04/02/cracked-dyed-hardboiled-eggs/ [...]

pamela e June 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm

What a wonderful idea for Easter and other occasions to brighten up the table.

Pam

The Incredible Edible (Dragon) Egg | The Year of Halloween April 18, 2014 at 5:28 pm

[…] colors on the more lively side, use the same cracking technique and place your eggs in a bath of food coloring and water, or go dark for a more sinister appearance. You can serve the eggs whole, or split them in half to […]