Crockpot Jambalaya

February 27, 2012

Hi all, it’s time again for the Secret Recipe Club reveal.  Basically, SRC is a group of bloggers who get together once a month to share a recipe. We’re all assigned a blog and asked to pick out a recipe from that blog. We make the recipe, tweaking things here and there, as we see fit, then there’s this big reveal. The entire thing is a secret until our day comes around.

This month I was assigned Abby’s Blog of Cats and Casseroles.  Abby has tons of fabulous recipes to choose from, I had a hard time picking just one, like these Artichoke Bruschetta, and  Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies, yum.

Ultimately, I chose her Slow Cooker Jambalaya.  I knew my family would love this recipe, a bit spicy but full of sausage and shrimp.  I love that you dump it in the crockpot and walk away.  I did make a few changes to this recipe and used shrimp instead of chicken.  Overall, this was a great meal and one we will be making again and again.  Thanks, Abby for sharing it with us.

Ingredients: 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced; 1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice; 1 large onion, chopped; 1 large green bell pepper, chopped; 1 cup chopped celery; 2 cups chicken broth; 2 teaspoons dried oregano;  2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning; 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy); 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme; 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined; fresh parsley, chopped; cooked rice

Every good Cajun jambalaya must start with the trio of onion, celery and bell pepper.

Slice the sausage.

Add the Cajun trio, sausage, tomatoes and chicken broth to the crock pot.

Add in all the seasonings.  If you prefer less spicy halve the amounts of cayenne and cajun seasonings.

Mix well and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
Then add the frozen or fresh raw, peeled and deveined shrimp.  They won’t take long to cook, about 30 minutes.

Stir in some fresh chopped parsley.

Serve over rice.

Such a delight to the senses, those spicy flavors and yummy healthy ingredients.

Crock Pot Jambalaya

adapted from Cats and Casseroles

1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 lb shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
fresh parsley, chopped
Cooked rice

Place all ingredients except last 3 ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.  30 minutes before serving add raw shrimp, and parsley.

Cook rice according to package instructions. Add rice, as desired, into each individual serving of jambalaya. Store rice separately from rest of jambalaya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

Top 40 Soups and Salads of 2012 | The Secret Recipe Club
January 4, 2013 at 4:14 am
10 day cleanse menu plan - Newlyweds
June 2, 2014 at 11:29 am

Lisa~~ February 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

My husband would love this and I love that it’s so easy to make, great SRC choice.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A’ SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites and my Group ‘D’ entry: Health(ier) Peanut Brittle

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Jenni February 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Your jambalaya look fantastic! Great job!

SallyBR February 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Lovely dish! That’s something I’ve never made, actually… gotta fix that soon!

;-)

kristy lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty February 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

jambalaya in a crock pot – why not??

i may just bookmark this and wait for when BC Spot Prawns come back into season. We have tons of local sausageries (? is that a word ?) in town so I’ll throw some yummy meat in there too. love it!

April @ Angel's Homestead February 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm

My husband would love this, especially with the yummy shrimp added.

Melanie March 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Mhmm, looks awesome! I’ve had a similar recipe on my fridge for the last two months but I still haven’t tried it. This post was the inspiration I needed!

Rene - Epic Baker March 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I love jambalaya! I’ll have to make this and take the rest to work for lunches :).

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee March 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm

your photos look so good. mouth watering.

Carrie- young living oil lady March 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

This looks so good! My children love to help make Jambalaya. We have never put it in the crock-pot though. I would love for you to share this recipe with us at Kids in the Kitchen. We are looking for family friendly, healthy recipes and this would be a great one for kids to help momma in the kitchen. They love to chop veggies! Thanks so much. The link is open all week. http://younglivingoillady.com/home/kids-in-the-kitchen-week-3/
Blessings, Carrie

Gina January 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’m making this now and only have 30 mins left and my house smells amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Oh yummy, my husband loves this recipe so much!! Hope you guys enjoy it!

Gina Reply:

@Sweet Pea, Update on the Jambalaya: it was wonderful but the next day was even better. This is now my go to Jambalaya. Thanks for sharing!!