Red Velvet Brownies

February 21, 2012

red velvet brownies

*If you like recipes like these be sure to stop by my new E-cookbook E-licious and use code BROWNIES50 to get the book 50% off ,making it only $2.50 for over 45 recipes!

Brownies are huge in our house, but I’ve never made brownies from scratch, weird I know.  Those brownies from a bag are just too good and easy, or so I thought.  (ok brain fart, I have made brownies before, like zucchini brownies, 2 kinds, lemon brownies, pumpkin blondies, and black bean brownies So on Valentines day I decided to make a special treat. This recipe isn’t difficult and the results are so totally worth the effort.  These brownies are rich, chocolaty and that brilliant red we all love.  I adapted this recipe to make a 9X13 brownie pan to serve to my family on V-day.

I initially used this recipe for mascarpone frosting too.  I had it all whipped and ready to top the brownies when I got a phone call from my brother, learning I am going to be an Aunt again to a baby girl.  Then two little stinkers that shall remain nameless, turned my mixer on full speed, thus deflating the whipped cream and curdling it.  Needless to say I didn’t include the pictures or recipe.  We still used the deflated frosting to eat, because after all, it still tasted like heaven, just looked like curdled milk….

Let me show you how the brownies are made.

Ingredients:    1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature; 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar; 1-1/2 cups brown sugar;  4 large eggs, at room temp; 2 ounces red food coloring (optional); 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract; 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder; 1/2 teaspoon salt

I used both of these red food colorings.  It takes a lot to make it so very red.  If the red freaks you out a bit, don’t add it, and have some of the best regular-colored chocolate brownies you’ve ever tasted.

In a mixer, cream butter and sugar.

Then add one egg at a time, beating in between and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

then add in the vanilla.

and red food coloring.

*food coloring is optional if you choose to not use it add 4 T of water or milk*

Keep adding food coloring until you get a bright red batter, mix until fully incorporated, be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

In a separate mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder and salt, mix well.

Slowly  add the flour mixture to the batter,  being very careful not to over mix.

Scrape the sides down insuring all the flour is mixed in.  Don’t overmix!  The batter will be very thick.

Spread the thick batter out onto a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.  I use a clear glass pan.

Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes, or until just set.  The brownies will have a thin crust and gooey underneath if baked for about 35 minutes.

More if you like them very done and less if you like them a little gooey.

I like mine a little gooey.

Red Velvet Brownies

So does Reeses the cat.    I took this picture outside on my front porch bench (because the lighting is perfect) and she had to check out the goods.

Red Velvet Brownies

I can’t really blame her, these are pretty fantastic.

red velvet brownies

Red Velvet Brownies
adapted from Smells like Home

1 cup  unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 oz red food coloring (optional)
4 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour an 9 X 13 clear glass baking pan.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then stir in food coloring (if not using food coloring add 4 T of water or milk) and vanilla, mix until the color is fully incorporated. Mix flour, cocoa and salt in a separate bowl.  Slowly add in the flour mixture being very careful not to over mix..  Do not over mix.  The batter will be very thick.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir up the batter with a rubber spatula once or twice just to ensure all of the flour has incorporated from the sides of the bowl and there isn’t anything stuck on the bottom of the bowl.  You’ll want one uniformly colored (red) batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. 35 minutes for a thin crust on top and gooey underneath.  Set aside to cool, cut into bars and serve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

Weekly Recap – 3/12 – 3/18 | Cinnamon Bubbles
March 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm
March 22, 2012 at 1:22 am
For the love of red velvet. | Lissables Creations
March 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats
April 20, 2012 at 9:17 am
Hot Mama in a Velvet Dress Brownies « camillescookingadventures
May 10, 2012 at 9:59 am
Weekend Wonders: « a {charmed} life
May 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm
Red Velvet Brownies | WALL.FIIIIIIIIG
May 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm
red velvet brownies | noms de terre
June 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm
Danielle Elwood - Meal Plan Monday
June 11, 2012 at 7:01 am
Red Velvet Brownies
August 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm
the itch to bake | life without structure
August 12, 2012 at 10:43 am
Valentine Desserts
January 28, 2013 at 9:31 am
First Grade and Fabulous
February 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Red Velvet Brownies the Recipe | tuesdaynightboyfriend
March 2, 2013 at 9:20 am
Day 100 | 365 Days of Food!
June 24, 2013 at 10:58 am
May 20, 2014 at 6:04 pm
I’m on a baking spree. :: My CMS | Just another WordPress site
May 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Dark Chocolate Velvet Brownies | Simple Homemaking
September 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Mo February 21, 2012 at 10:55 am

These look amazing! I might have to make these as our last treat before Lent starts tomorrow!

Nicole February 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

MERCY!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook February 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have never made brownies from scratch either. These look great and I can’t wait to make them next year on Valentine’s Day. I pinned it and within 9 minutes it had 39 repins! :)

Mrs. Delightful February 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Yummy! I would love for you to visit and link up at my Linky Party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

These are to die for! I love brownies, and red velvet ones are super delish. :)

charlie February 22, 2012 at 7:26 am

Love the Cat !!!

These brownies look so good that the temptation is strong.

I’m always been leery of red food colouring ….. it can cause severe mood changes.

But they do look good ………………..

Brianna Reply:

@charlie, Maybe add some Raspberry Puree for a more natural coloring for those leery of the red dye? Plus it could give a delightful fruity punch to the chocolate base. I can’t wait to try this recipe this weekend for my True Blood party. I am going to have to scour my town for some of that vanilla. It looks AMAZING.

I found the vanilla at our local walmart of all places, lol!!

Oh and did you say True Blood Party? I want to come!!!

Brianna Reply:

@Sweet Pea, Good place to start then. Thank Sweet Pea. And yes Ma’am. I thought these brownies will be perfect, and maybe a blood orange margarita if I can find the juice anywhere. I am super excited for Sunday!

Miz Helen February 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Your Red Velvet Brownies look beautiful and so delicious. I am going to make these for my little hubby, he’s gonna love em! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!

D @ The Shady Porch February 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

We love Red Velvet cake around here and I’ve often wanted to make the brownies! Your recipe looks so easy and the pictures are great! Cute kitty too! Thanks for sharing at the Rock ‘N Share!

Alison February 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Wow, this is genius! My mouth is watering! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Tiffany March 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yum! And now I wonder if I could make them blue velvet brownies. Hmm…

@Tiffany, I don’t see why not, just lots of blue food coloring!!

Jennifer Reply:

@Tiffany,

I was thinking green for St. Patty’s day!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee March 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

ooo I love gooey brownies too! These look to die for!

Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

What makes them brownies and not a cake?

Good question Stephanie, typically brownies are unleavened meaning they contain no baking powder or soda. The lack of leavening, and minimal amount of flour, results in a dense, chewy bar. As oppose to a cake that is lighter and fluffier and rises. Hope this answers your question.

Jami March 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I made these today and my dough was far too dry. They taste as though they had too much sugar. Is your recipe you posted correct? Also I see 4 eggs in your pics but only two eggs in the recipe. Your brownies look amazing and I want mine to turn out as good! (I skipped the food coloring)

Leia March 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’m making this recipe but with green food coloring instead for St. Patty’s Day! Thanks for this great recipe!

Great idea, I hope they turned out great!

Weekly Recap – 3/12 – 3/18 | Cinnamon Bubbles March 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm

[…] Red Velvet Brownies by The Newlyweds […]

Red Velvet Brownies - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth March 22, 2012 at 1:22 am
For the love of red velvet. | Lissables Creations March 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

[…] So here is the link to the most delicious Red Velvet Brownies! They had the absolute perfect amount of light crispiness on top, gooeyness in the middle and only lasted 2 days in our house. They’re deadly is what I am saying. But now you have the recipe. For if your having an off week and are like me in an “eating your feelings kind of way.” […]

Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats April 20, 2012 at 9:17 am

[…] devour: Red Velvet Brownies. Red, chocolate, chewy lusciousness. […]

Lorie April 24, 2012 at 8:45 am

Looks good

dean beckworth April 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

i just made the brownies , i love for mine to be the shiny crunchy on top like yours but they are not , what did i do wrong ? plus what kind of vanilla flavor did you use ( noticed the van. bean ) and where can i get some ? thanks for the recipe

I am not sure, is your oven baking at the right temp? Maybe that could be it, also were they gooey inside? Possibly they could have baked a little longer. As for the vanilla, I used Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. It’s very delicious and I even found it at our local grocery store, which is usual for our small town. I think also Amazon and I am sure other online store carry it as well.

Jo April 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

Hi

I made these. But what went wrong? I found it ended up making a thick crust on top and ended up being hard crust. I was sad. What did I do wrong

Hi Jo, sorry they didn’t turn out. All I can think is that they were baked too long and maybe the temperature was too high on your oven? I think about 35 minutes at 350 and they were just perfect, slight crisp crust on top and gooey underneath.

Jo April 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

Also took a long time to bake. I followed every step.

Christie Reply:

@Jo, I just tried these and got the same result. I also followed the recipe down to the last detail and am an experienced baker, so I think the issue is with the recipe. Did you include food coloring? I did not, and therefore, there is 2oz of liquid and chemical components in this recipe that are missing from my batter. This can certainly impact the outcome, and I believe that is why my brownies developed a hard, thick crust while remaining undercooked inside. I would recommend if you’re going to use this recipe, also add the food coloring, and if you don’t like to use food coloring (like me), this probably isn’t a good recipe for you.

Sorry to hear you had the same problem Christie. You must be right it must have something to do with the food coloring.

Mandy Mo. @ Tar Heel Charm April 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Just pinned this and can’t wait to try it!

Lindsey@ snozberryz.com May 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

oh I cant wait to try these!! What brand of vanilla do you use?…. it looks amazing!!!!!!

jamie May 7, 2012 at 12:29 am

hey,

just a question – I usually make brownies by melting chocolate/butter and leaving to cool, sifting flour and cocoa powder separately and beating eggs together with the sugar. so afterwards I add the chocolate mixture to the eggs mixture, mix well, then add the dry ingredients last. does the method of mixing the ingredients change the consistency or flavour of the brownies? because I’d like to try your way too!

jamie

Bundles of Blossoms May 9, 2012 at 8:39 am

Hi Sweet Pea~ I just wanted to let you know that I stumbled up these scrumptious red velvet brownies and showcased them on my Bundles of Blossoms Facebook page-come take a look if you’d like!!! I love your blog and anything red velvet-LOL!!

Have a happy day!!

Hot Mama in a Velvet Dress Brownies « camillescookingadventures May 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

[…] original recipe adapted from Newly Weds Blog and modified by […]

LANA May 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I am having a major political party’s local group in for dinner and was seeking something to serve with coffee afterwards (as a freebie)
Your red brownies caught my eye…off to make them now !

My Little Restaurant is a new business here in Sydney city where competition is tough…so hoping these little beauties will get them talking !
wish me luck…and thank you
Lana

How neat, so glad you choose my recipe, I hope you and the customers really enjoy them!!

Weekend Wonders: « a {charmed} life May 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm

[…] godbit: Red Velvet Brownies. Drool. Drool. Drool. Det er alt jeg […]

Red Velvet Brownies | WALL.FIIIIIIIIG May 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm

[…] Brownies May 30, 2012 Link URL: http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2012/02/21/red-velvet-brownies/ Share this post with your friends and followers […]

Lindsy May 31, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I made these tonight and they did not turn out as I wanted :( I followed the recipe exactly and cooked it at 350 for 35 minutes. They weren’t gooey and were kinda dry :( Next time I am going to bake for 30 minutes and maybe add some chocolate chips to the batter.

Sorry Lindsy that they didn’t turn out right, it’s hard to determine exactly why. It seems that maybe your oven runs a little hot. I’ve made this recipe several times and for my oven that time works perfect, but it’s best to always cook something a little less time and then check, because you never know.

Kira June 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I made these tonight… I added a cream cheese swirl on top before baking. Oh. My. GOSH! Amazing! Just, wow…

Zoe June 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I found this recipe on Pinterest… just baked them, and they came out great! So pretty, too. Will be baking again!

Kim June 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I made these yesterday, taste was fabulous! But I think I didn’t add enough food coloring (I kept adding red gel..but did not get deep red showing) so the top was a bit hard…but inside was perfect. This was a trial run, making them again in a few days for my sister in law bday. Will try again, thanks for sharing!
I also went and bought some Wilton red food coloring, so I will have plenty to add in this go around =)

It does take quite a bit of food coloring I used all the the wilton dye and the other regular food dye as well. Also if you don’t use that much, add a tad bit of water or milk to the recipe. Best of luck!

red velvet brownies | noms de terre June 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

[…] was trolling pinterest today and somehow came across the recipe. DELICIOUS. the only note i have is i didn’t have a stand mixer with a paddle, so i used a […]

Danielle Elwood - Meal Plan Monday June 11, 2012 at 7:01 am

[…] Patch Kids Cupcakes Fresh Fruit Sugar Cookies Red Velvet Brownies Ice Cream again … Can you tell I love going out to the farm here for ice cream? Apple Nachos […]

Katie June 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I just made these, I added a TON of red food coloring and couldn’t get that them that bright. I think it was because I used all natural dark chocolate cocoa powder, it was darker and as soon as I added it I lost the red. Hopefully still delicious!

Oh that dark chocolate cocoa powder sounds delicious!! And it does take a ton of red to get it that red! Hope you guys enjoy them.

Rachel June 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

I only have regular cocoa powder….is that okay to use?

By regular do you mean sweetened? If so I would reduce for the amount of sugar in the recipe, look and see if there is a substitution on the cocoa powder. Since it calls for a little amount you could probably just use 1/4 cup less sugar? Hope this helps. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

Darijo June 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

These are the prettiest red velvet brownies I’ve ever seen but I was disappointed to see that you left out the buttermilk as it’s what gives red velvet that distinct flavor. Do you think there’s a way to incorporate it?

Kathy Debb Swarchenham Reply:

@Darijo, No, I think this wonderful recipe is perfect in everyway, and I think the creator knows what shes doing.

Darijo Reply:

@Kathy Debb Swarchenham, Thank you for your thoughts but this question was directed towards said “creator” as you so warmly refer to her as.

@Darijo, Wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I can’t as you can see in the post I have made this recipe that I found from and adapted it from the website Smells like home. Buttermilk would give it a slight tangy flavor, but I don’t think it would work in this recipe as the batter is suppose to be very thick brownie like. But maybe you could experiment, and let me know what you think. Best to you!

Darijo Reply:

@Darijo, Thank you very much. I will try experimenting, just hope I don’t have explosions lol. I don’t want to sacrifice the crispy top of the brownie. That’s always the best part.

I’d love to know if you try it, I love experimenting with recipes too!

Allyre June 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Making these tomorrow for a fourth of July cookout.. Making Blue velvet and red velvet and also my families blonde brownie recipe to make sort of red white and blue lol :) Hope they turn out as good as yours did my mouth has been watering all week looking at the photo!

@Allyre, That sounds like a super cute idea!! I have made them in blue before too!! So fun, hope you guys really enjoy them and the party!

Allyre Reply:

@Sweet Pea, [img]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o575/Allyboomommyof2/283650_3627033750798_1703215053_n.jpg Here’s how the brownies turned out! Thanks so much for the velvet recipe they were so good!

Allyre Reply:

@Allyre, Well, the photo didn’t show up but they were really good and cute!

Alaina June 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Made these today and they turned out perfect! They are SO good. Thank you for the recipe.

Kathy Debb Swarchenham June 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

When I found this online, I could not resist. As quick as I could, I discovered I had to make these for myself ( and maybe a nibble or two for my beloved feline friend, Mr. Boo Manchu). Creating this lovely materspiece was so outragiously simple, I knew I just had to make more. Making four batches not only for me and Mr. Boo Manchu, but for everyone in my caldasac. Sorry but I just had to take the credit for making these scarlet squares of soulful deliciousness.
So I thank for this wonderful blessing that you have given to me and my small family, maybe Mr. Boo Manchu and Reeses can have a play date one day! I think Mr. Boo Manchu fancies your friend Reeses. Once again keep blogging , for I am always with you on your advertures of writting, cooking, and beyond.
Love always,
Kat , get it? :-)

@Kathy Debb Swarchenham, Thanks Kat, so glad you love the recipe!! And I bet your neighbors are loving you right now!! Love the name of your Kitty too, so fun! They should totally playdate!! ;)

Jillian June 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm

just made these yesterday– I added a homemade cream cheese frosting as well once they were cooled and they were absolutely delicious!

Lori June 29, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Wonderful presentation with the pictures. These would be beautiful for Christmas with green decorations, can’t wait to make them! ;)

Sarah June 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm

mine are in the oven as we speak! can not wait to taste them!

Cathy Williams July 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Found your red velvet brownies on Pinterest, am making them for my 4th of July Birthday party. My treat to myself! I have always loved red velvet cake and am sure these will make my day since brownies are my other favorite! Thanks for sharing! Happy Fourth!

Tracie July 4, 2012 at 7:20 am

I made these and they turned out perfectly! I don’t know why so many others are having issues with them. They had a thin, crunchy crust and we’re gooey and moist underneath. They were a huge hit!

Tracey July 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm

These were great! Made them for my family for the 4th of July. Thanks for sharing;)

Berner July 5, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’ve made these twice now and I have a few questions:

1) Mine come out kind of purple. I added 2oz red dye though. Is there something special about the dye you used to get it so vibrant? Or did you use some post processing in photoshop after the fact?

2) I can’t get mine as gooey as yours. Could it be rack position? I baked them for exactly thirty minutes last time and they were still pretty cooked through. Should I try lowering my baking temp? Put the rack higher?

good question about the dye, it really does come out that bright red, my suggestion would to be add more dye or try the wilton food dyes they are potent stuff.

Also I bake mine on the top rack (1 level down). Maybe you should test yours at about 26-28 minutes and see how done they are and start from there, all ovens are different. So glad you have tried the brownies and I hope you get an perfect results next time.

Berner Reply:

@Sweet Pea,

Ok so I used your recommendations and they turned out PERFECT. Got the colour and the gooeyness. Baked them one rack from the broil rack for 31 minutes. So good.

Stephanie July 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm

These brownies are great! I’m about to make another batch for my family that is coming into town! I know they are going to love them! I can’t wait to have one! ;)

Angie July 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Fantastic brownie recipe! I made one change….instead of using 4 teaspoons of vanilla I used 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of almond. My family LOVED these! I served them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side! Will definitely be making these again….THANKS!!! :o)

Oh the almond extract sounds yummy and ice cream is always a must, so glad you guys enjoyed the recipe, thanks for sharing!

Sam July 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

These had just the right amount of chewiness and gooiness that I desire in a brownie-that 35 minute trick is SPOT ON!-but I was a little disappointed with the flavor, I thought they’d be more chocolatey, they’re so mild. Would you recommend maybe some melted choc chips to make them a little richer?

Your right the chocolate flavor isn’t super intense, I’ve heard of others trying dark chocolate cocoa powder, and some have even doubled the amount, I haven’t tried this but think it sounds like a great idea. Most likely you won’t get the brilliant red color, though. Another thought would be adding chocolate chips.

Andrea July 19, 2012 at 10:02 am

Do you think that I could substitute the butter for shortening or lard without making much of a difference ?

Yes I think you could, I am not exactly sure but with the shortening you may have to add 1-2 T of water, it should say on the package. I bet the lard would give them a slightly different texture and mouth feel. Please let me know if you try.

amanda July 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

OMG these are amazing! mine were not as red as yours but they were fantastic tasting and the texture is amazing!

Barb July 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ve been searching for the perfect rvb recipe for a while–that didn’t need to add the frosting/icing/anything extra. I found that for almost all of them that if you didn’t add the something on top it was way too sweet or way to dry and not the perfect ratio of brownie to red velvet flavor. With that being said, these were PERFECT. I actually wound up being short a little bit of vanilla extract but it was awesome nonetheless. I will say that oven temperature has a lot to do with the final product. My oven gets hotter than most so mine were done after 24 minutes. And although it took a LOT of red coloring it made all the difference. Thank you again for adapting the recipe for a larger batch as I slit it between home and work.

Hi Barb, so glad to hear they turned out and you found the perfect RVB recipe, I happen to think so too :)

Red Velvet Brownies August 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm

[…] how to make these Step-By-Step Here. « 1 Minute Coffee Cake in a […]

Chrisinta August 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Wow! Fantastic! I love to bake homemade things, and I have to try this! They look so yummy!

the itch to bake | life without structure August 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

[…] online scavenger hunt for healthy-minded baked goodies. After several detours (Caramel Corn Bars or Red Velvet Brownies, anyone?), I settled on making some type of muffin. Originally, I planned to make Whole Wheat […]

Aurelia August 14, 2012 at 8:35 am

The colour is amazing so it is not a suprise your cat wants to try some. ;-)

7 Great Pinterest Party Ideas! - Eventup August 16, 2012 at 3:01 am

[…] wants to know how to make red velvet brownies like these? They’re easier to make than you think and they’ll go great with a steaming […]

Lauren August 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I made these for a family get-together and they were a HUGE hit.

Anita August 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Good Evening, A family member sent me this very interesting recipe. I want to know: she wants us to build a wedding cake/tree with the brownies. Will I rather bake them a bit harder or what would you suggest?

Great Question Anita. I am not exactly sure how strong the cake/Tree will need to be. But I would say the brownies are denser and sturdier than a typical cake. Please do share with me if you use this recipe, I’d love to see the end result. Best!

Gooey Red Velvet Brownies « The Word Magician's Kitchen August 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

[…] *Original recipe from Newlyweds *Images by The Word Magician Posted in Recipes , food article, food blog, food […]

Happy Weekend! « Sepia Toned Loving August 31, 2012 at 8:50 am

[…] Homemade red velvet brownies.  Be still my heart. […]

Rachel September 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Should I make a frosting? Do they need a frosting? I dont have cream cheese but I do have cream cheese frosting. Suggestions?

Rachel, I’ve eaten them both way, with or without. I would say if you have some, why not?

Cece September 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

What brand of vanilla do you use? From that photo it looks fabulous…lots of vanilla bean.

It’s called Neilsen Massey- vanilla bean paste, I love it, so easy to use and delicious.

Morgan September 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm

These were delicious! But how did you get them so red? Mine turned out more like a maroon color.

Yes, lots and lots of food coloring, I wasn’t kidding when I said 2 oz. But I do think the Wilton food colorings are really great!

Red Velvet Brownies « Penny's Food Blog September 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

[…] for the color red (obviously!) and the value Individual Worth.  The recipe is from a blog called Newlyweds and if I ever need a simple recipe to impress, I’ll use this […]

Jess September 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Just made these tonight….they were a huge hit!

Amanda September 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

WOW! Thank you so much for this receipe. I made them last weekend for a party and everyone devoured them! Everyone seems to love red velvet and brownies so red velvet browines are a great new concept I hadn’t though of before. For some reason I couldn’t get my brownies to look as bright red as yours, as I would have liked (I have no idea how you made them that red), but they were still amazing nonetheless! Thanks again!

Lalo Reply:

So glad that you guys enjoyed the recipe. I think the Wilton food coloring is all the difference, I used the whole thing plus another regular food coloring, the two in the picture.

Bridgett September 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I wonder how these look without the food coloring. Whenever my aunt makes red velvet cake or something similar, she always makes it without any dyes and they come out with a natural red color. I wonder if the brownies will if I don’t use the coloring.

Ashley Woodard Reply:

@Bridgett, I haven’t made these yet, but I wanted to tell you that I am a pastry chef and I know why your aunts things still turn out red without the food color. The red is caused by a reaction between the cocoa and the vinegar and baking soda in red velvet cake batter. Originally, that is how red velvet cake was made, with no food color. However, our society likes overkill. :) So we now add the food color to make it an obvious red. That said, I wouldnt think you would get the same effect with this recipe since it doesnt have the vinegar.

Bridgett Reply:

@Ashley Woodard, Thanks! I knew it had something to do with the cocoa but didn’t know what it was reacting with. I’m not really a fan of adding artificial coloring into my food. I like things to look natural when I bake them but this recipe tempts me to buy some red food coloring..

Cassandra September 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Ok, I had seen this on Pinterest several times and kept passing it up because of needing to be on a special diet, don’t pin it and tempt myself right, but it’s been such a horribly awful summer (the whole summer has been awful!) that I’m finally allowing myself a treat and all I could think about in the back of my head was these amazing looking goeey brownies. Also, white chocolate. I have some white chocolate baking squares that I can use, but how do you think I could incorporate it? I was thinking of melting it and swirling into the batter, but would that mess up the baking? I’d rather not chop it into chunks or just dump it on top and I’ve become so obsessed with making this tonight that I’d just cry if something I did screwed it all up.

Hmm, good idea. I thin swirling it in, chopping into bite sized pieces either would work well. You may have to play with the cooking time a little, but try it and watch them closely. I’d love to hear how they turn out. Or maybe bake them as normal then melt the chocolate and pour on top.

Meridith September 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I just made these and they smell wonderful, were easy to make, but they are so sweet my husband and i could not eat more than a bite or two. These would be great for some one with a real sweet tooth

Shelby September 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Wow can I just say these were AWESOME!! And a HUGE hit at my family reunion!! Making them again tonight in fact!!

Laura Dean-Mooney October 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Just baked these for some local law enforcement officers and had to sneak a bite for myself. They are so, so delicious. I am going to frost them later with cream cheese icing. Thanks for this great recipe!

Larkyn December 1, 2012 at 5:33 am

I made these the other day and they are SO delicious. My family gobbled them up! The only thing is that for me, I had to bake them probably 10 minutes longer to get them to form properly. Still yummy and gooey, though. I think I’m going to make some more for Christmas!

Jenny December 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wow these brownies look soooo good! Can’t wait to make them for my friend’s birthday since she lovesss red velvet (: I was wondering though, would making these brownies in an 8×8 in. square pan work well too or is it better to just go for the 9×13 in. pan? Thank you!

Megan December 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hi! I am going to make these for Christmas. I will need to make two batches, and was wondering if I could bake them in one of those throw away baking/travel pans. I am not an expert with baking, so I was wondering, would I need to adjust the time/temp since I won’t be cooking them in a glass pan? Thank you!!!

Great question, I think if there are the foil type you should be able to cook them the normal amount of time, but maybe check them at 25 minutes to be sure. Hope you enjoy them.

Émilie December 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Wow!!! They are delicious!!! My friend always want me do them now, it’s my signature desert!!!

Jess December 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

These are in the oven now, used wilton pink, and a little regular red. Thats what I had…can’t wait to try ‘em, I swirled in the word “love” not sure if it will handle the oven time! Thank you for the recipie.

LC December 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Lol i kinda spaced when reading the recipe had to adjust to my booboo..in the oven now :) hopefully i didn’t goof too bad

Gina L December 19, 2012 at 10:46 am

I made these for Christmas to bring to my boyfriend’s family with this Santa Hat design – http://cookiesandcups.com/red-velvet-santa-hat-brownies/ and Cream Cheese Frosting (as opposed to the Buttercream that is listed there).

There were a few left over, but that just meant more for us when we got home! It was my first time making homemade brownies and they were deeeelicious! I’ll never be able to say I like boxed brownies after these guys.

Red Velvet Swirl Brownies | December 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

[…] found this recipe on pinterest months ago and stored it away for one of those days when I was craving a chocolaty […]

Melissa Brucia January 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

The red velvet brownies look very moist. I have been searching for a good recipe for valentines to sell as one of our treat items. I will be using ur recipe.
Tks much and you have a beautiful blog

Julie January 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

So unique… Love it! For those who’ve made them, do they taste like a regular brownies? Thanks in advance for the info :)

Danielle January 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I just made these brownies and they are delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Valentine Desserts January 28, 2013 at 9:31 am

[…] Red Velvet Brownies […]

Celina January 28, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I guess i didn’t have enough red food coloring, because it turned pink. Tastes good though! :)

Sarah January 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I can’t wait to try these. I love red velvet! My wedding cake was even red velvet! Thanks for sharing.

Wilma January 28, 2013 at 10:16 pm

The brownies look good, but I hope you didn’t let the cat eat any…chocolate is toxic to cats, and dogs.

Zia Daugherty February 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm

This look SOOO good! I can’t wait to make them!!

Christi February 14, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I’m not sure what I did wrong but mine were not gooey at all. They had the consistency of a dense cake. I was bummed.

Christi February 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Never mind. Just realized I left out the brown sugar.

Cathy February 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Ok, this is twice in less than a week I have made these brownies. They are wonderful!! I didn’t add the red food coloring but used milk and sprinkled pink sugar on top for Valentine’s Day. I have to tell you that the batter is like crack!! My sister and I scraped the bowl like two kids. Thanks so much for this!!

sarah February 21, 2013 at 4:53 pm

ok i have no idea how you made them so red. once i added the cocoa that was it for red, it turned very dark. in a red velvet cake it’s the buttermilk that counteracts to keep the color. the taste was good but i’d add more sugar if you like a sweeter brownie.

Lindsey February 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

These look delicious! I am adding them to my list of recipes. I have a feeling that I will be making these very very soon!

First Grade and Fabulous February 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm

What’s Cooking Wednesday-Red Velvet Brownies…

As many of you know, I LOVE to bake. It’s an outlet. Sometimes I like to bake with Madi and Connor, and…

Red Velvet Brownies the Recipe | tuesdaynightboyfriend March 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

[…] original recipe comes from Newleyweds and can be found here. Follow the recipe exactly because the recipe is perfect! I made a few tweaks because I was short […]

Maddie March 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hi um im using this recipe for a school project and i need to know the serving size. What is the serving size?

Serving size is 12-15 brownies per pan. Hope the project goes well.

Day 100 | 365 Days of Food! June 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

[…] easy they would be to create! Why have I never thought of it before? This is a must try! PRONTO! ( http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2012/02/21/red-velvet-brownies/ […]

pinspiration – numero veinte y siete | peasquared July 3, 2013 at 6:07 am

[…] + red velvet = deliciousness! source: http://www.newlyweds-blog.com via tricia on […]

Red Velvet Brownie Recipe | Viral Pins From Pinterest July 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Stephanie September 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Oh my goodness this looks absolutely incredible!!!

Recipe: Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle | A Pinch & A Dash: Cooking Beyond Measure(ments) September 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm

[…] for hosting me, I thought it would be nice to bake brownies and send them down their way. I found this recipe for red velvet brownies and knew I had to try it out—I don’t generally play […]

project red velvet brownies | absolutely (extra)ordinary December 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

[…] have tried many varieties of red velvet cake and cupcakes, but nothing beyond that. Until I found this recipe for red velvet brownies. Considering our love of brownies is approximately equal to our love of red […]

Val pal December 23, 2013 at 2:41 am

I made these today for the Christmas holiday and they turned out absolutely amazing!!! Exactly like the pictures. I was a but concerned after reading some of the reviews but everything from the color to goey taste was perfection. I don’t know if this made a difference or not but I also used a glass 9×13 pan.. This was the perfect size and cooked the brownies wonderfully!

Valentine’s Day Desserts | Cassidy Alyse February 7, 2014 at 8:15 am

[…] Red Velvet Brownies source […]

Red Velvet Brownies | Sweet Little Details February 10, 2014 at 6:54 am

[…] Velvet Brownies from NewlyWeds Blog 1 cup  unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1 1/2 cups brown sugar 4 […]

Valentine's Day Desserts | Baby Matters Blog February 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

[…] Valentine’s Day brownie, and they look beautiful! Other ideas are: – These amazing looking Red Velvet Brownies – Try making your own Red Velvet Bonbons for a fancy treat that would also make a great […]

I'm on a baking spree. - Hi & Hello :: Hi & Hello | the art of getting by May 20, 2014 at 6:04 pm

[…] 13, 2013 From scratch blueberry biscuits for breakfast and red velvet brownies for Valentine’s Day tomorrow.  I’m baking a berry pie for dinner tonight too. […]

I’m on a baking spree. :: My CMS | Just another WordPress site May 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Gynnie August 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm

My son loves brownies and my daughter loves red velvet cupcakes, now these look amazing, mouthwatering and I’m going to try and put their favorites together and hopefully they both like it. I actually am looking forward to making them.

Dark Chocolate Velvet Brownies | Simple Homemaking September 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm

[…] treat around, and these are the best brownies I’ve ever had. The original recipe came from the Newlyweds Blog and is for red velvet brownies. I’m too lazy to keep enough food coloring around to turn […]