Pumpkin Chowder

October 25, 2011

*If you like recipes like these be sure to stop by my new E-cookbook E-licious and use code PUMPKIN50 to get the book 50% off ,making it only $2.50 for over 45 recipes!*

I am totally digging soup these days.  Especially big ole pots of soup that I can eat for days, and that my boys love and don’t mind eating two days in a row.  This is that kind of soup.  Makes a ton, is full of yummy veggies, and will fill those empty bellies.

Let me warn you, though, it takes some chopping, and you may get your upper body workout chopping and peeling that pumpkin, but it’s totally worth it for those juicy bites of fresh pumpkin!

My pictures for this post are totally lacking.  I’m not sure what was going on, but I forgot to take the majority of the pictures.  So, bear with me as I explain the recipe, minus key pictures.

Ingredients:  2 tablespoons butter; 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice; 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice; 5 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces; 1 small pie pumpkin, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3-4 cups); 3-4 cloves garlic, minced; 2 poblano peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon pepper; 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste; 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste; 3 quarts chicken broth; 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped; 3 cups shredded chicken (I like to use sticky chicken); 1/2 stick butter; 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; 1 cup milk.

To start, use a small pie pumpkin about 2-3 pounds.  They have a sweeter flesh and less water than bigger pumpkins.

Cut the pumpkin in half and remove all the seeds; then, with a peeler, remove skin and chop the pumpkin flesh into 1/2-inch pieces.  It should yields about 3-4 cups of pumpkin.  Save those seeds and roast them using these directions.

Then start chopping the rest of your veggies; carrots, celery, peppers, onion, and garlic.

In a very large stock pot, add 2 tablespoons butter and all of the veggies.

Add your spices; salt, pepper, cumin, and thyme.  Use more to taste, if you like.

Add chicken broth, and let simmer about 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are fork tender.

Add in cilantro!

Shortly before the soup is done; in a large skillet melt 1/2 stick butter and stir in flour to combine, cooking on medium low, ladle in broth from the soup, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly until about 3 cups of broth are added and it starts to thicken.  Then add thickened broth back into the stockpot, stirring well to blend.  Cook about 3-5 minutes until soup is thickened, like a chowder.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of milk.  Serve with fresh cilantro and roasted pumpkin seeds.

Good thing I am having another bowl of this for lunch!

Pumpkin Chowder

2 tablespoons butter
3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
5 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small pie pumpkin, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/8 cup minced garlic
2 poblano peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste
3 quarts chicken broth
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 cups shredded chicken (I like to use sticky chicken)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Heat the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the pumpkin,  carrots, onions, celery, garlic, poblano peppers, salt, pepper, cumin, and thyme. Sauté for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the chicken broth and cilantro, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until  chicken is heated through. Shortly before the chowder is done, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes to cook the flour. Do not allow the mixture to brown! Ladle 1 cup of the hot liquid from the stockpot into the skillet, whisking constantly.
When the first cup of liquid is incorporated, add another 2 cups of liquid, 1 at a time. Pour the mixture in the skillet into the stockpot, whisking to blend. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the milk and serve.  Garnish with cilantro and pumpkin seeds if desired.

Apple Chai Muesli (Part of this Immune Boosting Breakfast) | The Purposed Heart
November 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Sweet Apple Steel Oats | Christian Mommy Blogger.
November 2, 2011 at 6:22 am
{ Fusion Fridays 11 . 4 . 11 }
November 11, 2011 at 8:55 am
Food Board: Savoury Pumpkin Recipes Food and Family
September 19, 2013 at 8:58 am
Welcome Fall. (Fall Cooking & Baking Wish List) | The Sweetest Thing.
September 23, 2014 at 5:18 am
An Edible Mosaic™ » 100+ Pumpkin Spice Recipes Perfect for Fall
October 6, 2014 at 2:05 am
10 Of The Best Savory Pumpkin Recipes! | Whole Parent
September 11, 2015 at 5:39 am
21 Pumpkin Recipes To Tempt Your Taste Buds
November 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook October 25, 2011 at 10:37 am

Looks amazing! I love pumpkin in savory dishes.

Dana October 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

This does seem like a lot of work, but it sure does look delicious! Thanks for sharing 🙂

mindie October 26, 2011 at 9:09 am

This looks so good. I love soup this time of year. Creamy chowders are always my favorite. I would love for you to share this at my ongoing Fall linky, you can find the button link to it on my right side a bar. I also have an anything goes linky, fri-monday. Come strut your stuff.

Amy @ A Little Nosh October 27, 2011 at 8:44 am

This looks wonderful! I’d like to invite you to link up at Tastetastic Thursday!

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food October 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I love chowders, but would never have thought to do a pumpkin chowder…but looks so good! I’m hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday. I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here’s a link with more info.

I hope to see you there!
Debbie

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy October 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

That looks soooo good! I never would have thought of pumpkin chowder; what a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Flu Fighting Foods; join us next week with your breakfast ideas!

Erin@TheHumbledHomemaker October 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this @Flu-Fighting Foods! This recipe looks absolutely delicious! I am enjoying finding so many alternatives to just using pumpkins for desserts! I will have to check out your linky as well! Hope you’ll join us again next week–where we will be linking up our breakfast recipes! 🙂

Miz Helen October 29, 2011 at 6:17 am

Hi Sweet Pea,
Your Pumpkin Chowder is just fabulous. The combination of seasons that you have put together for this recipe is a perfect blend for us and I can’t wait to make this recipe, we will just love it! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!

Apple Chai Muesli (Part of this Immune Boosting Breakfast) | The Purposed Heart November 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm

[…] Pumpkin Chowder (This looks AMAZING, and I can’t wait to try it!) […]

Candi @ Family Stamping and FOOD! November 2, 2011 at 6:16 am

This looks really good! Did you add chicken to the end picture? It looks like it has some shredded chicken floating there. Either way, it looks delicious!

@Candi @ Family Stamping and FOOD!, Yes Candi, it does have shredded chicken in it, I didn’t get pictures of every step like I usually do, but it’s in the recipe.

Candi Reply:

@Sweet Pea, Sorry I see it now. Visually impaired without pictures. Lol!!!

Sweet Apple Steel Oats | Christian Mommy Blogger. November 2, 2011 at 6:22 am

[…] **Pumpkin Chowder from Newlyweds. I can’t believe there are so many ways to make pumpkin soup…this one may top the list! […]

Rogene November 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Now that’s my kind of soup! Will have to give that one a try.

Shannon November 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This sounds great! I’m on my annual fall pumpkin kick, but a savory recipe sounds like a nice change from the sweet ones.

Thanks for linking up to Momtrends Friday Food!

{ Fusion Fridays 11 . 4 . 11 } November 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

[…] … and follow me on Pinterest!  :: Here are my favs from last week :: Pumpkin Chowder by Newlyweds Three Musketeers by Fake Ginger Cheesy Potato Soup by A Mom Not A Professional or […]

4virtu October 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Happy Tasty Tuesday! We love this recipe and it is featured on our Favorite Pumpkin Recipes for Fall! Thanks!

Emma Rodrigues November 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I love this recipe, and it’s quickly becoming a Fall/Winter staple in my home. Thank You!!

Food Board: Savoury Pumpkin Recipes Food and Family September 19, 2013 at 8:58 am

[…] ChiliPumpkin ChowderHearty Pumpkin Apple SoupPumpkin RisottoSquash Soup in Pumpkin Bowls 1. Pumpkin Chili 2. Pumpkin […]

Raine October 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Hey!
This looks great! I’m a vegetarian though, will it mess up the soup if I shred some tofu and use that and vegetable stock instead? Also, I hate cumin hahaha. I was thinking about using chilli powder instead, what do you think?
Thanks!

Sure I think that sounds yummy.

Welcome Fall. (Fall Cooking & Baking Wish List) | The Sweetest Thing. September 23, 2014 at 5:18 am

[…] Pumpkin Chowder […]

An Edible Mosaic™ » 100+ Pumpkin Spice Recipes Perfect for Fall October 6, 2014 at 2:05 am

[…] Pumpkin Chowder from […]

Heather October 13, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Hi, there! This looks delicious. I have a question, though: In the ingredient list at the top, and in the instructions below the cilantro picture, you say to use 1/2 stick of butter and 1/2 cup flour for the roux at the end. However, in the ingredient list at the bottom, in the green box, you say to use 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and 1 cup of flour.

Which is correct?

So sorry for the confusion Heather, go by the recipe below, I will fix it in my post.

10 Of The Best Savory Pumpkin Recipes! | Whole Parent September 11, 2015 at 5:39 am

[…] the recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Pumpkin Chowder Get the recipe: Pumpkin Chowder  Pumpkin Fritters With Rosemary And Cheese Get the recipe: Pumpkin Fritters with Rosemary and […]

21 Pumpkin Recipes To Tempt Your Taste Buds November 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm

[…] Pumpkin Chowder at Newlyweds […]

AP September 21, 2016 at 8:38 am

I’m a vegetarian…. What would you suggest I put in place of shredded chicken?? Maybe add another root vegetable?

You could do that, or just simply admit the chicken, there are some many yummy veggies already.