Pumpkin Enchiladas

September 20, 2011

This recipe is featured in my E-licious E-cookbook, stop by to see more details about the e-book and over 45 yummy recipes.

Pin It
I love trying new foods, experimenting with the unusual combinations of food.  Just ask DT.  Pumpkin tends to be one of my star ingredients, I think I already have 11 pumpkin recipes on my blog.   It is, after all, so very versatile, beautiful and super yummy.

So, when the thought of creamy, slightly spicy pumpkin enchiladas ran across my mind, I was uber excited.  No, it’s not your usual flavor of pumpkin, cinnamon, sugar and spices.  But the pumpkin stands on it’s own to the wonderful flavors in this dish.  Highlighted, may I even say.

Yummy, creamy, with a slightly spicy kick.  We ate the whole pan in one sitting.  My boys ate 3 servings each!!  Gosh, how I love those little pumpkin eaters!

So tell me would you try these?

1 sweet onion, diced, 1 tablespoon garlic, minced, 1 jalapeno, diced, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (I like to use Sticky Chicken), green chilies (4 ounce can), 1 can pumpkin (15 ounce), 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, dash of salt & pepper, 10 corn tortillas, 1 cup Queso Fresco, crumbled, 1/4 cup green onions, Cilantro (optional)

In a large skillet, melt butter.

Dice onion, and add to pan.

While the onion is cooking, finely chop the garlic and jalapeno.

I used 2 small jalapenos from my garden that were red and a brownish color, usually that means they are extra spicy.

Once the onions have a little color to them, add the garlic and jalapenos, cooking until fragrant.  About 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and add in the shredded chicken and green chilies.  I love using Sticky Chicken.

Mix well and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, add pumpkin, and chicken broth.

Pour in the heavy cream.

Add spices, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, whisk together.

In a sprayed casserole spoon a little cream sauce on the bottom.

Then start assembling your enchiladas, I used corn tortillas, but if you prefer flour, by all means use them.

Wrap the enchiladas tightly and lay seam side down.  I could fit a total of 10 enchiladas.

Then pour the rest of the pumpkin sauce on top of the enchiladas.

Sprinkle with crumbled Queso Fresco.    If you aren’t familiar with Queso Fresco, it is a delightfully yummy,  mild cheese, almost similar to fresh mozzarella, except it’s crumbled more like the texture of feta.  It simply means Fresh Cheese.  If you can’t find queso fresco, just use mozzarella or even Monterrey jack.

Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes, till the edges are brown and the cheese is thoroughly melted.

Serve to your hungry men and watch them devour the enchiladas.

Never once stopping to ask what that unique flavor is?  Just enjoying every bite and even asking for seconds and thirds.

Makes a mommy proud!

Pumpkin Enchiladas

1 sweet onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 Tbs butter
2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (I like to use Sticky Chicken)
green chilies (4 oz)
1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
dash of salt & pepper
10 corn tortillas
1 cup Queso Fresco, crumbled
1/4 cup green onions
Cilantro (optional)

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, add onion. Sauté until brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Then add in garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrant about  1 minute. Add the chicken and green chilies to the pan, mix well and remove from heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, cream, broth, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

Spoon chicken mixture into the tortilla’s, rolling them tightly and placing in a medium-sized baking dish seam side down. Once all enchiladas have been rolled, spread the pumpkin cream sauce over the top. Sprinkle generously with Queso Fresco, then bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or just until the tips of the cheese begins to brown. Garnish with diced scallions

Happy to List @

Family Fresh Meals, “Ingredient Spotlight”

Sticky Chicken in Crock Pot
September 28, 2011 at 7:06 am
Pumpkin Enchilada | Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy
October 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm
November Monthly Meals 2011 « Cooking with Pizzazz
October 28, 2011 at 9:46 am
November Monthly Menu 2012 « Cooking with Pizzazz
October 28, 2012 at 11:09 am
For The Love Of Pumpkin
January 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Leslie Limon September 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh yeah!!! You had me at “pumpkin”! :) These looks and so absolutely delicious! Can’t wait til it’s pumpkin season here. :)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor September 20, 2011 at 8:12 am

Dangit. This makes me so mad because I would LOVE to try this recipe but not a single person in my family would eat it. 3/4 don’t like spicy and if they found out about the pumpkin? Forget about it. Enjoy the next pan for me!

Stephanie September 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

That looks delightful! How do you think it would work with black beans instead of chicken?

Absolutely I think Black beans would be a super yummy!!

Cara@homespunkitchen September 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I would have never thought to add pumpkin, but I am sure going to try this! Stop over for a visit sometime!

Candi @ Family Stamping and FOOD! September 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm

YUM! I’ve done sweet potato and black beans before. Very tasty. But I love this pumpkiny sauce you’re using for the chicken. YUM!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook September 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

Wow, pumpkin enchiladas? This looks awesome! I love adding pumpkin to savory dishes (I make pumpkin alfredo sauce and pumpkin sage polenta), so I will definitely be pinning this to make later! Thanks for posting! (PS. Saw this on This Chick Cooks)

HUGS & COOKIES XOXO September 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

OOOH LA LA SOOOOO UNIQUE!!!! THANKS 4 SHARING AT WONKA WEDNESDAY!!! XOXO

becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary September 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm

i like the sound of these enchiladas! I make a lasagna with pumpkin sauce but never thought to do enchiladas with it! this will be great in my house!!!

Little Mommy, Big Appetite September 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Looks amazing! How unique :) Saw this on Miz Helen’s site – thanks for sharing!

Life Currents September 22, 2011 at 8:28 am

These look great! I’d like to make them vegetarian. Maybe soy crumbles, white beans, or red peppers and potatoes instead of chicken. I’ve made chili with pumpkin before, and you’re right, people don’t know that it’s “pumpkin”. Yum!

I think that sounds yummy, maybe black beans as well, but I bet peppers or even summer squash would be an excellent, instead of chicken.

Debi September 23, 2011 at 6:42 am

YUMMY! This looks Delicious! Thank You So Much for sharing on Thursdays’ Treasures, Dear Friend! I cannot wait to give this a try! <3 and Hugs!

Rachel September 23, 2011 at 5:59 pm

What a fascinating idea – I’m always hooked by creative uses of unexpected ingredients. And I love pumpkin. I’ll have to give these a try!

Janet September 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Looks delicious! I bet a vegetarian version would be good too.

I’d love for you to come share this or another favorite post in my Saturday Spotlight link up:

Have a great weekend.

sheila September 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

My mouth is watering. THey look delish!

Crystal & Co September 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I have never in my life seen pumpkin enchiladas. How interesting.

Thank you so much for linking up on my mommy resource meme.

I am sharing a link to this on Facebook. :)

Jaymie September 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I saw this link on Crystal & Co.’s facebook page. Delish! I’m very excited to try this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks September 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Those look and sound great! Thanks for sharing them at the recipe spotlight!

Krista@ Everyday Mom's Meals September 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

I have been wanting to try something savory w/ pumpkin…mmmmm…Thanks for sharing at Church Supper! See you again next week.

Everyday Mom’s Meals

Mia's Domain September 25, 2011 at 8:53 am

I love pumpkin!! This is really yummy!!

Julie September 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm

How interesting! Love pumpkin, these are a great new way to use pumpkin at this pumpkin time of year.

Miz Helen September 26, 2011 at 7:26 am

Hi Sweet Pea,
I can’t wait to try your wonderful Pumpkin Enchiladas! They will be a big hit here at the cottage. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
Come Back Soon,

Shannon September 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’d totally try them! I’m on a pumpkin kick lately, it’s such a perfect fall food.

Thanks for linking up with Momtrends this week!

~Shannon, Food Channel Editor, Momtrends.com

Lisa Hitzeman September 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm

This dish sounds delicious. Pumpkin is such an unexpected ingredient in enchiladas, but I think it would be fantastic!
I found your post over at Everday Mom’s Meals at Church Supper.

Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish

Sticky Chicken in Crock Pot September 28, 2011 at 7:06 am

[...] Use for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken like Enchiladas De Pollo Y Queso , Chicken Spaghetti , Creamy Spinach Enchiladas, Chicken Corn Chowder, Barbecue Chicken Pizza,Stuffed Corn Tortillas, and Pumpkin Enchiladas. [...]

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama October 5, 2011 at 9:42 am

YUUUUMMM
I’m seeing lots of pumpkin recipes… but not many savory ones! I will have to make these ASAP!

Pumpkin Enchilada | Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy October 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

[...] a pumpkin found its way into my enchiladas. Yup, enchiladas. I originally found the recipe over at Newlyweds and adapted it slightly to fit our needs. I took out the chilies and the jalapenos because my DH [...]

November Monthly Meals 2011 « Cooking with Pizzazz October 28, 2011 at 9:46 am

[...] Pumpkin Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Black [...]

mjskit November 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm

What a fantastic idea! These look absolutely delicious! I love the chiles, the seasoning and the use of Queso Fresco instead of the traditional cheddar or Montery Jack. Definitely will be giving these a try. BTW – Dee sent me! :)

Jenni November 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I would absolutely make these! I’m going to copy this down! I love pumpkin and enchiladas, so what could be better than mixing the two.
I found you over at Deelicious Sweets, and I’m so glad that I did!!

Jenni November 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

I made these on Saturday! They were delicious. I did make a couple of changes. I used a meatless protein and black beans in place of the chicken. Thank you again. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Corey @ Family Fresh Meals December 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Oh my word! These look amazing :) Looks like I can easily make this vegetarian for my hubby too! We have fake meat chicken shreds :) This will work perfect this recipe. Enchiladas are his FAVORITE!!! Thank you for the wonderful recipe :)

Oh good, I’ve also thought black beans might be a good alternative to the meat as well. Hope you try them.

Karyn December 15, 2011 at 7:20 am

These look delicious! I love all thing pumpkin as well and this looks like something my family would love…

charlie December 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Hi! How many does this serve?

There are only two of us, and we are small eaters.

@charlie, Hi Charlie, I would say it feed 4-6 people, but you could easily half the recipe and make it in a 8X8 pan if you’d like. I personally love leftovers!

charlie December 30, 2011 at 8:29 am

Thank you!

Kara August 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Just digging through your wonderful recipes, thank you so very much for sharing them!!!
Love everything pumpkin<3
Just thought I'd share a tip from my decades of cooking. Your tortillas look really dry and are trying to break as you roll them…just heat them up, one by one, in a skillet with a drop of oil if you wish, but it's not necessary, cook for 1-minute per side. They'll be very pliable once this is done and you can roll them to your hearts content. Works great for flour tortillas too. And you can cheat and microwave them for about 15 seconds each, but the texture really isn't as preferred as the pan fried ones, but when I make enchiladas I can get away with it as they are sauce covered! Hope this helps and thank you f or the wonderful recipes!

Thanks for the tips!

November Monthly Menu 2012 « Cooking with Pizzazz October 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

[...]  Pumpkin Enchiladas  (Use turkey meat instead  of chicken), Spanish Rice, Black [...]

Betsie @ Cooking Ripe! November 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Oh yea! I am going to make these. Love pumpkin and love enchiladas! LOVE the idea. Thanks for sharing.

Readers may like a Pumpkin, Bean and Rice burrito, as well: http://cookingripe.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/pumpkin-rice-and-bean-burritos/

For The Love Of Pumpkin January 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm