Ice Cream Bread

August 30, 2011

*If you like recipes like these be sure to stop by my new E-cookbook E-licious and use code BREAD50 to get the book 50% off ,making it only $2.50!*

Pin It
While I was browsing some new of my facebook friends blogs, I was shocked to see this recipe for Ice Cream BREAD.  Yes BREAD.  I knew I had to try it and the rocky road in the freezer was calling my name. “Try me, Try me, I won’t disappoint.”  Who am I to deny the lonely Rocky Road, after all, this recipe only calls for 2 ingredients.

Now the flavor is a bit different than I was expecting. With ice cream as the main ingredient, I was expecting a bit more sweetness,  but this really is bread, lightly sweet, great smothered with butter (DT), or dipped in coffee (me), or milk (the boys).  Oh heck, even served with more rocky road ice cream would be great.

The cool thing is, you can use any ice cream you would like, but as Libby suggests the bolder the flavor of ice cream the better the bread will be.  So get creative and have fun with it.

Ingredients: 2 cups of your favorite ice cream, softened, 1 and 1/2 cups of self rising flour.

Simply soften the ice cream on the counter or microwave for about 15 seconds.

Thoroughly mix the two ingredients.

Smooth out in a greased loaf pan.

And bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Remove the loaf and slice.

And enjoy how ever you may!

Print This RecipeIce Cream Bread

adapted by Cooking with Libby

Ingredients:

2 cups of your favorite ice cream, softened

1 and 1/2 cups of self rising flour

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour an 8×4 inch loaf pan.

Mix the ice cream and flour together in a bowl just until combined.  Smooth it out so it looks even.  Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool for a while and then serve.

Recipe Tip:  For best results, use full-fat ice cream.

It should also be noted that some flavors of bread will come out stronger tasting then others.  For a bolder and not so plain flavor…it is recommended to go with bold flavors of ice cream such as peanut butter or butter pecan.  Don’t forget, you can also add extra ingredients into the mix to make it less plain and more flavorful.  Experiment and have fun with it!

It Takes Two | Eat. Drink. Be Mommie
May 13, 2012 at 2:14 am
How To Make Ice Cream Bread | Broadsheet.ie
May 13, 2013 at 12:01 am
Ice Cream Bread | Tone Eye
July 2, 2013 at 11:33 am
Ice Cream Bread : Murphy Sam & Jodi
July 3, 2013 at 4:00 am

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 8:19 am

Are you kidding me? I will make this. Oh I will!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor August 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

This would be a great baking project for the kids. So easy!

Mary Beth|Cupcakes and Crinoline August 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

Oh my!!! This looks so good and easy…too easy not to at least give it a try. Thanks for posting this great idea. : ) ~ I’m pinning it… awesome!

Candi @ Family Stamping and FOOD! August 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I haven’t heard of this! I love icecream!

HUGS & COOKIES XOXO August 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

YUP! U HAVE MY COMPLETE ATTENTION NOW!!!! OH MY! THANKS 4 LINKING UP!!! <3

Debbie (Hen Haven) August 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Does it taste as good as it looks?

Hi Debbie, yes it does taste good, but it is definitely more bread (less sweet) like than cake like.

SharleneT September 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

This is one of the best kept secrets of fun things to do with the kids! I use it for my cooking demonstrations and always gather a crowd of fascinated and eager-to-taste visitors — and, they always ask for this incredibly involved recipe! For the lighter ice creams, I’ll add a baking flavoring — vanilla, raspberry, whatever you have to bump up the taste. MY HINT: Let the ice cream soften on the counter. The microwave has a tendency to ‘cook’ the ice cream and you won’t get the same rising action. I’m not saying this will happen every time but it’s occurred enough to make me very wary of doing it.

How neat, thanks Sharlene for the tip!! I will be adding some flavoring to boost it up a bit.

Abby September 1, 2011 at 8:13 am

This is so cool! Thank you for turning me onto the idea of ice cream bread. Who would have thought?

Libby September 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

Yay! I’m so glad y’all enjoyed it ;) It definitely isn’t a “sweet” bread, so to speak…but with a little experimenting with added flavors, you can possibly turn it into one ;)

Janet September 3, 2011 at 8:27 am

Wow! I’ve never heard of this before. So simple. I’ll have to try it.

Miz Helen September 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Hi Sweet Pea,
That Ice Cream Bread sure won’t be lonely here, it will be gone so fast. That is a great recipe and looks so yummy! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!

Krista@ Everyday Mom's Meals September 4, 2011 at 11:27 am

Wow, like you I was shocked when I read this. Yummy and amazing! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Hope to see you again next week :)

Amber September 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Adding this to my things to try!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen September 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

OH GOSH! I am sooooooo glad I saw this again today on Pinterest! I thought I had pinned it but I had not!! :( So I racked my brain and still couldn’t remember where I had seen it. I saw many other versions but I knew I had seen it here first (I just couldn’t remember where *here* was!). I ended up modifying a version that I saw from Taste of Home Magazine. I did blog about it. There is now a a link back to you in the first paragraph. Sheesh! I hope you don’t hate me and that you didn’t see that post and think what a loser I am!!! I’m SO glad I ran into this again!

Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 30, 2011 at 8:47 am

Huh. I never would’ve guessed this would work! I’ll have to try it sometime soon!

Tiffany November 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I have got to try this! What a great recipe.

DavetteB December 15, 2011 at 1:47 am

I’m dreaming of butter pecan bread :o)

Lauren C December 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Help! I made this bread using Ben & Jerry’s Mud Pie ice cream. It came out terribly dry and not very sweet at all! I baked it just until it showed as done with a toothpick, so it wasn’t over-baked. How did you get yours to look so moist? Mine was pretty dreadful. lol

Oh No Lauren, I hate hearing that. This is a bread, I was surprised how Not sweet it is as well, considering ice cream is an ingredient. Mine really had a bread like consistency too, sorry you weren’t pleased with it, I’ve heard some loved making PB&J sandwiches with it I thought that would be an excellent way. Or serve it with a big scoop of ice cream.

Lauren C Reply:

@Sweet Pea, Thanks Sweet Pea. :) Yeah, I guess I might have to try another type of ice cream, and/or add something to add moisture to the bread. I don’t mind the lack of sweetness, but I want to get a more moist bread. lol

Juno Jones April 11, 2012 at 5:15 am

Looks interesting! I’d love to try it out. Only problem is: Where I live there’s no such thing as self rising flour. So I’m just wondering if you know what agent is being used in it? I have a recipe for making my own selfraising flour (using baking powder), but I’m not sure if it’s the same…
Would be really greatful if you could help me out!

Great question. To make your own self rising flour, for every 1 cup of flour add, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt.

It Takes Two | Eat. Drink. Be Mommie May 13, 2012 at 2:14 am

[...] made this [...]

Mary May 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Ok Could not wait, tried it tonight. Maple almond ice cream, almond nuts, cranberries, marshmallows, peppermint, 100% cocoa powder and nutella (yes I went over board). Came out a little dry. Think it is because I used wholemeal flour. Should have added a bit of milk for moisture. Will try again using spelt. Thanks quick and easy

Wow Mary, that sounds amazing!! Sorry it was a bit dry, I found it to be much more like bread than cake. It’s really great as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and also slathered with butter, warm, yum!

katbrat August 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I hope it’s ok to post a comment exactly a year later! But I just discovered this and made it last week, with chocolate ice cream. At first, I ate it plain. And yeah, it was completely a bread and not sweet at all. So I slathered melted chocolate chips on top. Better. Than I tried it again as a sundae. I topped a slice with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. I loved it so much that I will have to make ice cream bread for all future sundaes. It’s so good when melted ice cream softens and sweetens the bread. It reminds me of how I used to use plain donuts as a base for sundaes. So good. So worth it. Thanks for the recipe!

Kat, what a perfect way to eat it. I’ve also heard as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I have yet to try that myself. Yum!

How To Make Ice Cream Bread | Broadsheet.ie May 13, 2013 at 12:01 am

[...] A presumably delicious, high-calorie treat courtesy of Katrina’s Kitchen via NewlyWeds blog: [...]

Carol May 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Could you use sorbet instead of ice cream?

Ice Cream Bread | Tone Eye July 2, 2013 at 11:33 am