Fried Green Tomatoes

June 7, 2011

Ever since DT started gardening I’ve slowly been forced encouraged to take an active role in the garden and I’ve wanted to make fried green tomatoes.  Of course, one of my all time favorite movies could have slightly influenced me, though year after year we always let the tomatoes ripen and use them in the normal fashion.

Well enough was enough.  I took matters into my own hands and snuck into the garden to grab 3 huge green tomatoes.

Boy am I glad I did.  These tomatoes were slightly sweet, tart, crispy and delicious.

Let me show you how they were done.  TOWANDA!!!

Ingredients: 1 large egg, lightly beaten, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3 medium-size, firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices, Vegetable oil

The green beauties.

In 3 separate pie plates mix the dredging materials.

In the 1st pie plate add the egg and buttermilk, beat these together.

In the 2nd pie plate add 1/4 cup of flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.

and in the 3rd pie plate add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. (not pictured)

Then slice the tomatoes about 1/3 inch thick.

Ok so one is turning slightly pink!

Heat the oil in a skillet and let it get really hot. When you drop a bit of flour in the oil and it boils immediately, it’s ready.

First dredge in the plain flour,

then the buttermilk mixture.

and into the cornmeal mixture.

Cook in small batches, about 3-4 at a time.  For about 1-2 minutes per side.

Flip and see the golden brown goodness.  The smell is just insanely good.

Place on paper towels to cool.  And continue batch cooking till all the tomatoes are done.

Or if you know what’s really good to sample the tomatoes while they are still piping hot.

Burning your lips and yelling TOWANDA is a given!

Yum, nothing quite like that.

Fried Green Tomatoes

adapted from Southern Living, June 2011 edition

Ingredients

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 medium-size, firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 lb.)
Vegetable oil

Directions

In a pie plate whisk together egg and buttermilk. In another pie plate, combine cornmeal,1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper. In another pie plate add 1/4 cup flour. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to medium-high heat. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt to taste.

I am happy to list this post @

From the Land of Monkeys “Mouth Watering Mondays”
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam “Tasty Tuesday”
ZenSational Meals
Real Sustenance, “Seasonal Sundays”
Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, “Slightly Indulgent”
All the Small Stuff, “Tuesday at the Table”
Life as Mom “Recipe Swap”

A Prairie Story, “Recipe Swap”
Miz Helen’s, “Full Plate Thursday”
It’s a Keeper, “It’s a Keeper Thursday”
Grocery Cart Challenge ”Recipe Swap”
Designs by Gollum “Foodie Friday”
and “Ann Kroeker “Food on Fridays”

{ 1 trackback }

Seasonal Sunday (06-12-11) | Real Sustenance
June 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Krissa June 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm

OH. EMM. GEE. That looks insanely good!

Candi @ Family Stamping and FOOD! June 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

YUM!

Kelly Deneen June 8, 2011 at 7:49 am

Those sound awesome!!!
Then again, I do love anything fried. ;)

tracy June 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love green tomatoes! Here is another one of my favorite green tomato recipes:

It is almost healthy…well except for the butter, and cheese…and bacon :)

@tracy, Thanks for sharing that recipe Tracy, if looks wonderful!

sheila June 8, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’ve always wanted to make these too! As soon as I get my garden going (probably in pots this year, since I’ve given up on having the time to prep my actual spot of land this year! UGH) I’m going to make these!!

Christina June 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yum! I am thinking about making these this year since I have a ton of tomatoes growing!

Frances June 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

When I fry green tomatoes instead of using cornmeal and flour I use Louisiana Seasoned Fish Fry that I buy at a local grocery store. When I don’t have any I fry them like you do, either way they are awesome. I fry alot of things in this fish fry since my husband thinks he should have everything fried.

@Frances, Great tip Frances!! My hubby loves everything fried too.

NancyC June 10, 2011 at 6:21 am

I really like fried green tomatoes but have never made them. Thanks for posting your recipe!

Miz Helen June 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hi Sweet Pea,
We just love fried green tomatoes and looks like we will be having a few this summer. Our tomato crop is really good. Your recipe looks great and we’ll give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!

Seasonal Sunday (06-12-11) | Real Sustenance June 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm

[...] Lemon Carob Bites from City|Life|Eats Spring Pasta with Green Beans and Chick Peas from the Local Cook. Gingered Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp from Cook with Sarah Fried Green Tomatoes from the Newlyweds blog. [...]