Drunken Pork Chops

August 31, 2010

*If you like recipes like these be sure to stop by my new E-cookbook E-licious and use code PORKCHOP50 to get the book 50% off ,making it only $2.50 for over 45 recipes!*

I stumbled across this recipe posted by Siggy Spice, and just knew I had to try it immediately.  After all DT’s favorite is pork chops.  Now smothered in beer, sugar and ketchup how could it get any better?  The recipe calls for any dark beer and Shiner Bock is something we always have on hand, but feel free to use your favorite dark beer.

The flavors combined after cooking are just a divine, home-cooking at it’s best.  The pork chops are tender from the slow cooking and the sauce is so delicious you might be caught licking the plate, not that any of us do that or anything.  I think DT’s exact words were, “Please make pork chops like this from now on”.  This recipe is so simple and tasty, I just might do that.

Let me show you how.

Ingredients:  5-6 pork chops- bone-in or boneless, your choice, Salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 onion, sliced, 1 bottle of dark beer (the darker the beer, the more flavorful the sauce. I use Shiner Bock), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup ketchup, 1 T cornstarch, 1/4 water

Set a large skillet to medium high heat, then go ahead and salt and pepper each side of your pork chops.

Place and cook for about 3-4 minutes

Then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes, till thoroughly cooked and nicely browned.

Go ahead and slice up half of an onion.

Then in a mixing bowl, add the beer.

brown sugar,

and ketchup.  Mix thoroughly.

Back to the skillet add in the sliced onions

and the beer mixture.

Add back in all of the pork chops and simmer for about 40 minutes, flipping and moving the pork chops occasionally to ensure they are all well coated.

After about 40 minutes, remove the pork chops and set aside.

In a measuring cup measure the water and cornstarch, mix well.

Add the cornstarch slurry, to the sauce, and mix well.

The sauce will immediately thicken, cook for about 1-2 minutes.

Then serve your pork chops over rice , and plenty of sauce.

Enjoy!

Drunken Pork Chops

adapted from Siggy Spice

5-6 pork chops- bone-in or boneless, your choice

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 onion

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup ketchup

1 T cornstarch

1/4 water

Put a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of a skillet. Season the chops with salt and pepper and brown both sides. While pork chops are browning, combine beer, ketchup, and brown sugar in a bowl. Pour sauce mixture and sliced onion over the pork chops and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Remove pork chops and thicken the sauce a bit. In a small cup, combine 1 TBSP of cornstarch in 1/4 of water. Stir to combine and add to boiling sauce, whisk so no lumps form. Put pork chops back in the thickened sauce, flip to coat. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

Have your drink and eat it too!

I am happy to list this post @
11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven’s “Homemaker Mondays”
From the Land of Monkeys “Mouth Watering Mondays”
Blessed With Grace’s “Tempt My Tummy Tuesday“,
A Soft Place to Land, “DIY Day”
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam “Tasty Tuesday”
All the Small Stuff, “Tuesday at the Table”
5 Minutes for Mom, “Tackle it Tuesday”
Tales from The Fairy Blogmother “What’s Cooking Wednesday”
Life as Mom “Recipe Swap”
Grocery Cart Challenge ”Recipe Swap”
Mom Trends, “Friday Feasts”
Simply Sweet Home, “Friday Favorites”
Designs by Gollum “Foodie Friday”
Prairie Story, Recipe Swap
and “Ann Kroeker “Food on Fridays”

Menu Plan for the week of 8/7 – 8/13 « Ready. Set. Simplify.
August 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm
October 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm
October 24, 2011 at 12:13 am
» Menu Plan for the Week 10/30 – 11/5 Ready. Set. Simplify.
October 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm
Drunken Pork Chops | sailorscupcake
September 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Menu Plan Monday ~ August 1/11 -
April 13, 2016 at 8:41 am

Candi August 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Oh my word! That looks delicious! My hubby doesn’t like dark beer, but he used to sell it for Budweiser back in the day. I can’t wait to try this!!! And I just picked up some reduced pork chops today! Putting this on my meal plan for October!

Lisa August 31, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Beer and pork always make a wonderful pair! I will give this a try.:)

Brenda August 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Great way to keep pork chops moist, we would love this!

sheila September 1, 2010 at 6:30 am

That looks great! I’ve never cooked chops on top the stove! They are tender? I normally use the oven or grill. I’ll definitely have to try this. I always get confused when buying chops on the well marbelled or little marble. lol.

Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect September 1, 2010 at 8:21 am

Pork AND beer? My husband will LOVE this!

Lisa@Blessedwithgrace September 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm

You had my husband at Shiner! That is his favorite beer. Now that we have moved from Texas, he has a more difficult time finding it. He is very excited about me trying your recipe. Thanks!

Stephanie September 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I cannot WAIT to try this on my hubby. He love beer. I have way to many pork chops. Its a match made in heaven. Thank you SP 🙂

Prairie Story September 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Any dish with beer in, my husband will eat with no further questions 🙂 Thanks for sharing @ Prairie Story Recipe Swap Thursdays!

Jill August 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

I wonder what you could use in place of the beer?? We dont drink alcohol at our house.

Good question, I would think maybe ginger ale or even chicken stock, etc, would be a good substitute.

Menu Plan for the week of 8/7 – 8/13 « Ready. Set. Simplify. August 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

[…] idea from the menu Laura@OrgJunkie posted, which linked to the recipe with lots of pictures that Newlyweds posted. Newlyweds originally found the recipe from Siggy Spice. I just love to give everyone […]

» Menu Plan for the Week 10/23 – 10/29 | And please re-subscribe. Pretty please? Ready. Set. Simplify. October 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm

[…] Drunken Pork Chops served over brown rice […]

Menu Plan for the Week 10/23 – 10/29 | And please re-subscribe. Pretty please? « Ready. Set. Simplify. October 24, 2011 at 12:13 am

[…] Drunken Pork Chops served over brown rice […]

» Menu Plan for the Week 10/30 – 11/5 Ready. Set. Simplify. October 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

[…] counting the takeout pizza with family, I’m going to pick the Drunken Pork Chops served over brown rice (pictured above). They are nice and easy and enjoyed by all 5 of us! […]

Patty May 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

I just found your blog this week and I’ve already made your Sticky Chicken and Drunken Pork Chops. The whole family LOVED both recipes! That in itself is amazing! Thank you so much!

Awesome Patty, you picked 2 of our very favorite recipes too!! So glad your family enjoyed them.

Melissa October 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Would flour work in place of cornstarch? I don’t have any on hand and don’t want to go to the store. Also don’t have dark beer but I’m gonna try it with Heineken.

Hi Melissa, yes you can use flour instead of cornstarch, no problem at all.

Michelle March 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm

What thickness of bone-in chops did you use? I’ve only ever cooked thin chops on the stove top which were only 3 minutes both side and then they were done. Just wondering do you think 1/2 chops would require the same amount of time in your recipe? It look’s and sound’s delicious! Thanks:)

Michelle Reply:

@Michelle, I meant to say 1/2 inch thickness of chops,sorry.

Sorry Michelle, I am responding so late, I’ve used all kinds and the slow cooking really makes them tender so I don’t think it matters the thickness of the chops, but if they are super thick you may have to cook them a little longer to get the super tender meat. Hope you enjoy the recipe.

Drunken Pork Chops | sailorscupcake September 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm