Zucchini Marmalade

June 1, 2010

* Be sure to check out my new The Chickens page at the top right of my header.*

I know what you thinking Zucchini Marmalade, this chick has lost her mind.  DT was very skeptical but I can ensure you he is now a believer, this marmalade is delicious.  A reader Diana shared this recipe with me as I was/am in sheer desperation of any way to use up buckets and buckets of zucchini.

The result is a wonderfully sweet marmalade that tastes like strawberry.  Or what ever flavor of jello you prefer.  The zucchini taste melts away and is not noticeable, but I can promise you this I feel better about giving it to my boys, it has veggies in it and they gobble it up.

I am going to make another batch using yellow squash this week.

Ingredients:6 Cups zucchini, grated finely, 6 Cups sugar, 1/2 Cup lemon juice, 1 20 oz large can crushed pineapple, 1 6oz package Jello, any flavor….our favorite is strawberry, but I’d also like to try raspberry this year

Begin by cleaning the zukes well then chopping off the ends and slicing down the middle.

These zucchini got rather large so I will need to remove the seeds, but if yours are nice and tender, just skip this part.

Then over a thin kitchen towel grate the zukes.

Then after each zucchini, gather up the ends of the towel

and squeeze out the excess water over the sink

Then measure out the zucchini

and place into a large stock pot, continue grating until you have six cups.  I used 2 extra large zucchini.

To the grated zucchini, add the sugar. 6 cups seems like a lot so I think next time I am going to try 5.

Stir well until sugar melts and put on high heat.

The mixture will change as it boils

then it will get real frothy

and then turn clear.

after the 20 minutes add the lemon juice

and canned crushed pineapple.

Meanwhile in another large stock pot fill with water and set to boil.

Stir well

and return to a boil for 5 more minutes.

Then remove from the heat and stir in the jello, stir really well.

Ladle into clean jelly jars.

and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  When you remove the jars make sure the lids are tight and the tops can’t be popped in the center.

They should last easily for 6 months.  Enjoy as you would any jam or marmalade.

In the words of Yo Gabba Gabba, “Try it, you’ll like it”

Print This RecipeZucchini Marmalade
6 Cups zucchini, grated finely (I don’t see why you couldn’t use yellow squash!)
6 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup lemon juice
1 large can crushed pineapple, 20 oz

Boil zucchini and sugar for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and crushed pineapple. Boil for 5 minutes.  Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.  Remove from heat, pour into hot jars and seal.  Process in water bath for 5 minutes.  (I think it made about 3 quarts, but don’t quote me on that…LOL!)

I am happy to list this post @
Eat at Home, “Ingredient Spotlight”

Food on Fridays: Humble & Regular «
June 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm
Weekend Links – Highlights from Zucchini Spotlight + More Yummishness!
August 20, 2011 at 5:01 am

Mindee@ourfrontdoor June 1, 2010 at 8:18 am

ZUCCHINI MARMALADE? Now I have seen everything!

Kelly Deneen June 1, 2010 at 8:35 am

That is genius!!! :)

Candi June 1, 2010 at 8:47 am

That looks awesome! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Kristen June 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

It does look good and what a great way to use up some produce! Thanks for sharing, I would love to try this sometime!

K. reisinger June 1, 2010 at 9:15 am

Wow…I am bookmarking this one. I only have 2 zucchini plants, but like you, I am overun with squash!

SnoWhite June 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I think I’d like to have a cooking day with you… this looks wonderful!!

kaye June 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I make this same recipe with rhubarb instead of zucchini. I’m going to try using some orange jello and see how it tastes.

Susie's Homemade June 2, 2010 at 7:30 am

Another great use for all that zucchini:-)

sheila June 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hmmmm I’m not so sure about this one. How does it taste…really. :o) Does it taste like strawberry zucchini?

Rustown Mom June 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

This looks weirdly delish!! I am bookmarking this for future summer fun in my kitchen! (:

Melodie @ Breastfeeding Moms Unite! June 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

What a unique recipe! You’re one smart lady. Great way to use up zukes!

Angela June 4, 2010 at 9:42 am

How interesting! I never would have thought. I can’t wait to experiment with this one!

Food on Fridays: Humble & Regular « June 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm

[…] – Play with Your Food at a Messy Party 12. Sara (pasta w/asparagus & bacon) 13. Newlyweds (Zucchini Marmalade) 14. Greek Chicken & Feta […]

zentMRS June 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm

What a delicious idea! I just started making preserves (my first effort was rosemary jelly – yummy… and the recipe is on my blog) and this sounds like another winner! Thanks for sharing!

McMom June 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Yeah! Something new and yummy to do with zucchini!

April Harris June 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

What an interesting and creative idea! I bet it tastes absolutely delicious.

Washington Mom June 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I’m so glad that you were able to try this!!! I told you I NEVER planned to make this…just sounded gross! But I’ve been changed forever…this is now my “go to” jam recipe! My hubby also hate veggies and was so shocked by this recipe….he never would have guessed. I love that you kept the green skins on…really looks pretty in your jars. I agree about trying less sugar….let us know how that goes!!

Jerri June 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Wow! What an interesting recipe. Sounds good! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Kim of Mo'Betta July 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I’ve already made your zucchini brownies, and I can’t wait to try this one! I’ve got mega zucchini to use up and this sounds very interesting!

Kim of Mo'Betta August 1, 2011 at 8:21 am
christie August 14, 2011 at 7:44 am

do you drain the can of crushed pineapple? I can’t wait to try this.

No, do not drain, just use as it and make sure it’s crushed pineapple. Hope you enjoy the recipe, please let me know how it turns out for you.

Weekend Links – Highlights from Zucchini Spotlight + More Yummishness! August 20, 2011 at 5:01 am

[…] Zucchini Marmalade?  Hmmm….okay, so that does look good! (from Newlyweds Blog) […]

Katherine Hermity Farmer September 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

This is just the recipe I’ve been looking for! We have made so many savory and pickle-type relishes with our zucchini — we needed something sweet! Perfect!

Angie August 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hi! Thanks for posting. This looked like a GREAT recipe (I love your site!), and so I tried it. I figured I’d “go big or go home” though, and tried orange jello for the full-out citrus experience.
I wouldn’t suggest it unless you reeeeeeeeeeeeally love orange jello.
That said, I can’t wait to try it again with strawberry, and will be attempting your zucchini brownies tomorrow!
Cheers!

So glad you tried the recipe, sorry that the orange was a little overpowering. I have done strawberry and blue raspberry both with excellent results, and pretty colors, ha. Hope you enjoy the zucchini brownies, yum!

mzh August 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

just made this and the family loves it. More to come…so i can share with family and friends. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gracie August 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Is a “large” can of pineapple the 20 oz. size?

Yes Gracie, 20 oz. Sorry I added that to the recipe now.

Linda August 5, 2013 at 9:25 am

My neice just made some and it is delicious!

Kelly September 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

LOVE this! So GOOD! So far I’ve made strawberry, raspberry, and peach. I’m gonna make strawberry banana tomorrow. Question for you-Do you have to use canned pineapple or can you use pineapple zucchini?

So happy your enjoying the recipe, I say give the pineapple zucchini a try, I’ve never used it or made it but let me know what you think I’d love to hear the results.

Kelly Reply:

I have made it with pineapple zucchini and it works just fine. my problem is that I leave the pineapple zucchini in large pieces so it changes the texture.

Kelly October 16, 2013 at 10:40 am

Zucchini Marmalade that I have made: Strawberry, Strawberry Banana, Peach, Raspberry, Cherry, Green Apple, and Blue Raspberry. My neighbor gives me 6 to 7 pound zucchini’s, so I can make a double batch, sometimes triple batch out of each zucchini. I use 5 cups of sugar, never tried it with 6 and its delicious. Mine always makes 5 pints.