Orange Cranberry Muffins (Sugar and Gluten free)

January 26, 2010

We were looking for a little variety in the mornings since this gluten free diet has put a bit of a hamper on our staples, and since muffins are a favorite of mine. I decided to experiment with a sugar and gluten free muffin recipe.  And I am so happy I did, these were delicious, slightly sweet, slightly tart and a great way to start the day.  Best of all the boys and DT loved them, in fact between the 4 of us they were all gone!!  Let me show you how I made them.

Ingredients: 1 cup apple sauce, 4 T butter, melted, ½ c. orange juice, zest of 1 orange 1/2 c. agave nectar, 1 egg
2 c. gluten-free flour blend (Bob’s Red Mill biscuit and baking mix), 1 t. baking powder, ¾ c. fresh or frozen cranberries

For this recipe I used Bob’s Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix, but you could easily use any gluten free mix (or regular all purpose flour) that you like.

To start off sifting the flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.

Then zest an orange

I got this new Microplane Zester and wow does it make a difference, its so much easier to zest now with easy clean up!!  I love it.

and go ahead and juice the same orange till you reach 1/2 cup of orange juice on a 2 cup measuring cup, if you don’t have fresh oranges, go ahead and use store bought orange juice.

In the same measuring cup, crack one egg

add the agave nectar

applesauce

orange zest

and melted butter

stir until full incorporated.

Then in the flour mixture add the 3/4ths of cranberries and toss until coated with flour.

*be sure to set aside 1/4th of the cranberries for later

Then pour in all the wet ingredients

and only stir until just combined, about 10- 15 turns, be sure to not over mix.

Then with the 1/4 cup measure batter into each muffin tin.

press the extra cranberries on top of each muffin

and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean

Set on rack to cool.

Or if your impatient like me, dab a little butter on the muffin and enjoy piping hot.

Little H must take after me, here he is blowing on the muffin to cool

I love it when my babies enjoy my cooking.

*Note* Take a look at all that hair on Little W, I never thought the day would come!

Orange Cranberry Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup apple sauce
4 T butter, melted
½ c. orange juice
zest of one orange
1/2 c. agave nectar
1 egg
2 c. gluten-free flour blend (Bob’s Red Mill biscuit and baking mix)
1 t. baking powder
¾ c. fresh or frozen cranberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12 tin muffin pan with lightly with cooking spray.

Put flour blend and baking powder in a flour sifter and sift.

In a measuring cup measure orange juice, stir in applesauce, melted butter , agave nectar and egg, mix well and set aside.

Add the cranberries to the flour mixture and toss to coat then, quickly dump the entire contents wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Do not over mix, about 10-15 stirs.

Put ¼ cup of batter into each paper liner. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Refrigerate any uneaten muffins in an airtight container.

{ 1 trackback }

Food on Fridays: Rose Recipes «
January 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Susie's Homemade January 26, 2010 at 5:59 am

These remind me of my grandmother’s bread she made for Easter brunch. Her’s wasn’t sugar- or gluten-free though:-)

SnoWhite January 26, 2010 at 6:43 am

nice work! I love orange and cranberry together.

Treasia January 26, 2010 at 8:30 am

They look great. I’m starving now! I will have to try these out myself. If you’re interested in other gluten free products head over to my blog and click the link in my sidebar for Teaporia. They have wonderful gluten free products you might be interested in.

Amy January 26, 2010 at 8:42 am

They look amazing.. Yummy..

Liz@HoosierHomemade January 26, 2010 at 8:48 am

Love cranberries and orange together! These look amazing! I’d love for you to link up to Cupcake Tuesday, I accept muffin recipes too ;-)
~Liz

Kristen January 26, 2010 at 10:04 am

Mmm, these look so yummy! Great job on being gluten free!

Helene January 26, 2010 at 10:49 am

Wow, not only do they sound yummy, they look beautiful too! The cranberries add such a pretty color to them!

Laurie January 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I am visiting from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. I, too, like healthful eating and do some gluten free baking, mainly for my daughter, but everyone eats it. :) These look delicious and I’ll be trying them soon.
Laurie@DomesticProductions

Gina January 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I have been wanting to make some healthier muffins and those look delicious! I can even use my homemade applesauce!

Lisa@blessedwithgrace January 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Yum! Those muffins look great! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

Cara @ Health Home and Happiness January 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Beautiful pictures! We liked the Namaste brand gluten free mixes over Bob’s :)

Sheila January 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I am trying not to eat flour or sugar, and this sounds like I ‘might’ be able to have one. They sound absolutely delicious, too. I love cranberries.

Happy Foodie Friday…

XO,

Sheila :-)

ButterYum January 29, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wonderful recipe… looks really good. I love your tutorial too… very nice photos!

ButterYum

Lori January 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I’ve been looking for a good orange cranberry muffin – yours look delicious! Love your little taste testers, too! :D

gollum January 29, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Gluten AND sugar free? I’m so making this. Your step-by-step is so helpful. A wonderful, keeper of a recipe!

sandy May 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

The receipe calls for baking powder in the list of ingredients, but in the directions it says to blenad the flour and baking soda… I will do the baking powder and hope that it is correct!

Abby November 4, 2010 at 11:15 am

I wasn’t able to find fresh or frozen cranberries, so I settled for dried. Even so, they still came out decent, although I probably should have soaked them first. I keep looking for cranberries but no luck as of yet (you’d think being so close to Thanksgiving it would be easy!) So, I decided to make them with fresh blueberries this morning. The only thing I changed was I replaced the cranberries with blueberries and replaced the orange juice with blueberry-cranberry juice, and omitted the orange zest. They came out delicious! I will definitely keep looking for fresh or frozen cranberries! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Donna April 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

These look SO DELICIOUS! and your little guy is cute as a button…
I LOVE my Microplane Zester, and when I buy oranges or lemons, “EVEN IF I’M NOT going to use the zest”, I zest them and freeze it in baggies to use in stuffings and in LOTS and LOTS of things. The possibilities are ENDLESS when you have so much on hand, hehe… If you set the zest in the fridge on an open plate it will dry out too… I now ALWAYS have lots and lots of it on hand and NEVER have to buy the grated stuff again!
Thank you this recipe, I’ve printed it out…
Have a wonderful Holiday week,
Donna

Heather December 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

great muffins, thanks so much for this recipe. I have celiac, so happy to see a gluten free recipe…….