Granola Bars

December 29, 2009

This recipe I started making to send in DT’s lunches shortly after we were first married.  They are a great tasting, filling snack and the beauty about this recipe is that though it tastes great and is good for you, it is very versatile.  I’ve made it with chocolate chips, peanut butter, toffee bits, various dried fruits and nuts.  Basically anything you like.  Or any leftover ingredients your trying to use up, its perfect in here.

You can also crumble the bars and put on top of yogurt, cereal or just eat by the handful.  They are so much better than the store bought variety and the best part is you know exactly what is in them, no high fructose corn syrup here.  Love that!  So get your creative granola making minds going and whip some up for yourself.

Ingredients: 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, 1 cup sliced almonds , 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 2 T peanut butter , 1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit

To start off in a large skillet add the oats

sunflower seeds

almond slivers

and wheat germ

mix well and toast them on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until slightly golden.

While the oat mixture is toasting,  in a small sauce pan over medium heat, pour in honey

brown sugar

butter

creamy peanut butter

vanilla and salt

heat until sugar and peanut butter are melted

Then add the honey mixture to the oats and stir well

then add in the dried fruit (I used a berry mix) but any dried fruit would be great.

The press down into a buttered 9 X 9 inch pan, and bake at 300 for 25 minutes.

The let cool, and cut into squares.

and enjoy!

Granola Bars

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

2 T peanut butter
1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Place the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ into a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until toasted.
In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

This post is listed @ Life as Mom Recipe Swap

Food on Fridays: Cocoa Math «
January 1, 2010 at 11:40 am
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday 12/29/09 : Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
January 4, 2010 at 11:46 am
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday 1/5/10 : Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
January 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Joanne December 29, 2009 at 8:17 am

wow you have linked up to so many places! Go YOU!

These granola bars look fantastic. I love how versatile they are.

Bonnie December 29, 2009 at 9:51 am

Can I hug you? LOL…probably not since we have never met! I have been searching for a great not good but great granola bar recipe for awhile. This is it.

Susie's Homemade December 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

What a great idea!!

SnoWhite December 29, 2009 at 10:47 am

These look wonderful… except when you’re allergic to nuts. Anyone know of a nut-free granola bar recipe?! :) Or, would this recipe be modified easily to omit the nuts? (or, would that be challenging with the PB?)

Regina December 29, 2009 at 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing! I think these will be wonderful and I’m looking forward to giving them a try! Love it!

Kristi Rimkus December 29, 2009 at 11:45 am

You can’t beat homemade granola bars. These look delicious, and so much better than anything you can purchase in a store.

Helene December 29, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Those look good…and I have all the ingredients on hand, which is even cooler!! I think the kids would have fun making these!! They’ve been into raisins recently so I’ll bet they’d like to add those!

I’m so slow this morning…as I was looking at the pics of how you made them, I saw the brown sugar in the pan and thought it was an english muffin. I was like, “where did the english muffin come from? maybe she’s heating one up for breakfast while she makes the granola”. I tell ya…I need to start drinking wine in the morning.

Heather S December 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Wow that looks so easy and not hard to do at all! Thanks for sharing!! I’ll definitely be trying these soon! Do you think I could substitue peanuts for the almonds? I have a TON of peanuts (don’t ask!) and would love to use them up!

Cole December 29, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I love granola bars! What a great recipe; thanks for sharing. :-)

Lisa Shatzer January 1, 2010 at 11:11 am

I love to find healthy and yummy recipes. Great post!!

Food on Fridays: Cocoa Math « January 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

[...] Hoosier Homemade( Favorite Recipes of 2009) 2. Arkansas Bloggers Link 3. Satakieli 4. Newlyweds (Granola Bars) 5. Debbie@ Dining With Debbie (crab cakes) 6. Sara (ham and noodle casserole) 7. Kristen [...]

gollum January 2, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I love the versatility of these granola bars. Your step-by-step is so good, too! Thanks so much for the recipe. Have a great 2010!

Ann Kroeker January 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I like that you have a basic recipe that is easily adaptable to what’s on hand–I’m going to try my hand at these sometime this next week and see if my kids will take them in their lunches. Seems like a delicious and healthy snack! Thanks for the ideas, instructions…and thanks for participating in Food on Fridays!

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday 12/29/09 : Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free January 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

[...] Caviar!)4. goodLife {eats} Loaded Baked Potato Soup5. Kristen @ Hope Abound: Fabulous Fajitas6. Newlyweds (Granola Bars)7. Linda (kid friendly spinach casserole)8. shelby9. Katrina @ Gluten Free Gidget- Vegan [...]

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free January 4, 2010 at 11:51 am

Thanks so much for linking to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday! I’m going to feature this recipe tomorrow. :)

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday 1/5/10 : Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free January 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm

[...] week we had so many fabulous submissions – a granola bar recipe that could easily be made sugar free and gluten free caught my eye as did this divine double [...]