Friendship Casserole

December 8, 2009

This recipe is featured in my E-licious E-cookbook, stop by to see more details about the e-book and 45 yummy recipes.

This is a recipe I love to make to either share with family and friends or freeze for ourselves.  The reason its called Friendship Casserole is because it makes two 9 x13 pans full.  One for yourself and one to share.  I love to make to bring to friends that have just had a baby.  Or to my neighbors for the holidays.  All they have to worry with is popping it in the oven to warm.   But sometimes I do keep both  for us and put one in the freezer for a quick meal.   The taste is a mixture between cheesy lasagna and saucy spaghetti.  Which in other words means it tastes awesome.
Pin It

Start off by browning the hamburger meat over medium high heat, add in a  little salt and pepper

Then salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil,  I usually add about a tablespoon of salt to this much water, and bring to a boil

While the meat is browning go ahead and grate the mozzarella cheese

and add the chopped garlic to the browning meat

Once the meat is completely browned, add the spaghetti sauce

then add the onion powder (don’t have onion powder?  just use half an onion instead)

and simmer for about 20 minutes

Once the water is boiling add the noodles and cook for about 7-8 minutes or until al dente

When the noodles are cooked, drain them and add back to pot with butter and Parmesan cheese, stir until butter is melted and cheese combined

In 2 9×13 greased pans, add half of the meat sauce to the bottom of each

Then all of the noodles

Then the rest of the meat sauce and topped with cheese.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Let one cool if you are sending to a friend and/or if you are freezing double wrap with foil with baking instructions: Thaw completely then bake for 30 minutes at 350, until heated through.

Enjoy the saucy cheesy goodness!

Friendship Casserole

2 lbs ground beef

1 (48 oz) jar spaghetti sauce

3-4 garlic cloves, minced, or 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 (16 oz) pkg medium egg noodles

1/2 cup margarine or butter

3/4 tsp onion powder or 1/2 onion

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

12 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350º

Brown meat, drain fat. Add spaghetti sauce; simmer 20 minutes.

Cook noodles as directed (al dente); drain and toss with butter and Parmesan cheese.

Spray two 9×13 pans with non-stick spray. In both pans layer half the sauce, all the noodles, rest of sauce; top with mozzarella cheese.

Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes. Serves 16.

Note: Since this recipe makes enough for two casseroles, plan one for your family and one for a friend. Think of someone who might need a reminder that they have friends who care about them – a new mom in your neighborhood, a family who’s moving, someone with an illness. OR, keep one for yourself and freeze one for another day. Wrap well with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Note the name of the recipe, the date and cooking instructions on the foil. Thaw completely before baking – make sure to remove the plastic wrap!

This post is listed @ Life as Mom, “Recipe Swap”

Food on Fridays: Clementine Celebration «
December 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Menu Plan 10/4-10/10 - WeUseCoupons.com
October 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm
January 2, 2011 at 10:38 am
30 things before 30
June 27, 2011 at 8:21 am
Friendship Casserole Recipe! Great to Share and Freeze For Next Time!
February 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm
Friendship Casserole~Easy and Frugal Family Favorite
April 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm

WackyMummy December 8, 2009 at 5:40 am

Sounds tasty. How funny, though… I just made this a couple of days ago, and I made so much I had to give some away! =)

Cassie December 8, 2009 at 7:17 am

Ohhh looks good! Do you know how many of your recipes I have bookmarked to eventually try? haha

Sonya December 8, 2009 at 8:34 am

This sounds delicious and easy! I can’t wait to try it!

Julie at Elisharose December 8, 2009 at 11:07 am

Well, that looks easy. And yummy to boot. Thanks for sharing.

I finally posted about our Saturday afternoon. Now I need to get some Christmas posts going.

Angela December 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm

That looks so amazingly yummy! I will have to try it!

If you have a chance, stop by my Tackle-It Tuesday and say hi!

Helene December 8, 2009 at 3:08 pm

That looks amazing!! And so easy! Yum!

SarahHub @ Oakbriar Farm December 8, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Mmmmm… Cheesy goodness!

Sharon @ UnfinishedMom December 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm

We call this “Noodle Thing” at our house. It’s really yummy. I love it because it’s so versatile. Any kind of noodle or ground meat. I’ve even been known to use grated cheddar when I was out of mozzerella!

Heather S December 8, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Thanks so much for this! I’ve been wanting to find a good sharing recipe for moms in my multiples club after they have a baby. Now I have one! Plus we get a meal ourselves. Perfect!!!

Michelle December 8, 2009 at 7:07 pm

YUM! I”m always looking for new ways to make pastas!

Lisa@blessedwithgrace December 8, 2009 at 7:44 pm

My 2 yo was looking over my shoulder while I was just looking at your recipe with all the great pictures. She said, “Oh, yummy!” I guess I will be making this soon!! It does sound tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking to TMTT.

Cole December 8, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Oh, that looks so, so, so good!!

angi December 8, 2009 at 9:54 pm

sounds delicious and like th perfect thing to send to a friend when they need a bit of a pick me up

Susie's Homemade December 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm

What a great idea:-)

Lydia December 9, 2009 at 7:57 am

I’m bookmarking this one! Not only does it look yummy, I like that I can make 2 dishes at one time!

Starting Over Jeanette December 10, 2009 at 9:04 pm

This looks wonderful and I love the fact that you include freezer directions. Thank you for sharing.

Rhonda @ Shellbelle's Tiki Hut December 11, 2009 at 7:49 am

I love the name and the whole concept of this dish. This will be perfect to make and donate both to our local homeless shelter. Excellent post!

Kristen December 11, 2009 at 9:43 am

What a nice title for a yummy meal!

Mary December 11, 2009 at 10:11 am

How very thoughtful you are. Your recipe sounds wonderful and I’m sure whoever receives that extra pan is most grateful. Have a wonderful Foodie Friday.

Michael December 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

This is the perfect recipe–make one, freeze one. While I was working so hard, I would have loved to pull one of these casseroles from my freezer. I am going to make two batches to freeze. Thanks so much!

Food on Fridays: Clementine Celebration « December 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm

[…] Kitchen Stewardship (What happened to my ghee?) 8. Sara (caramel chomeur) 9. Newlyweds (Friendship Casserole) 10. Twirland Taste- Deep Dish, Deep South Pecan Pie 11. My Heart My Home (Wassail) 12. Amber: […]

Amy @ Finer Things December 13, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Recipes that make a bunch are the best! Yum 🙂

Queen of Quirky December 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm

This looks yummy. I wonder how it would hold up with ground turkey as I don ‘t eat red meat….?

Shonda August 11, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Looks easy and I have all the ingredients!

Menu Plan 10/4-10/10 - WeUseCoupons.com October 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm

[…] home most nights until midnight, so anyway here is what this week looks like right now… Monday-Friendship Casserole with steamed broccoli, I will be taking the second casserole down to my neighbors house, my […]

Amber October 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Ok I just made this, if you saw my menu this week one is for my family’s dinner tonight and the other I ma taken to our neighbor’s house. They are cooling right now but I had to taste mine just to see and it is wonderful!!!!! I did add meatballs because my hubby is huge on meat and it is so good! Thank you for always posting your wonderful recipes!

Alicia @ Alicia's Homemaking October 28, 2010 at 7:02 am

That looks yummy!!! 😀

Grilled Turkey & Brie (Ultimate Recipe Swap: Quick Winter Dinners) — Life As Mom January 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

[…] A Mommy’s Blessings (chunky cheese soup) 39. angie @ annies velvetta cheesy pasta dinner 40. Newlyweds (Friendship Casserole) 41. Crockpot White Chili – delicious! 42. Jimi @ What’s Cooking (pepperoni cheese […]

30 things before 30 June 27, 2011 at 8:21 am

[…] friendship casserole for 4 […]

Denise February 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I have been making this for years, but we call it ‘pasta bake’. It is always what I bring when someone had a baby or needs a meal. What is not to like about this casserole? My kids never complain when I serve this.

Friendship Casserole Recipe! Great to Share and Freeze For Next Time! February 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

[…] Newlyweds Blog […]

Friendship Casserole~Easy and Frugal Family Favorite April 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm

[…] we have it for dinner once a week!! I found this recipe through a friend who introduced me to the Newlyweds Blog and this recipe!!!  It is rare to find something that is a favorite for all of us (even our […]

Karen May 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hello!! This recipe sounds really good. I plan on making this to freeze and give to someone. Could you tell me what type of parmesan cheese was used, that plastic container with the green lid or fresh?? Also after thawing do you bake it with or without foil?? Thanks in advance.

Vicki May 12, 2015 at 11:03 pm

I live alone so a 9X13 pan is a lot. How long would you bake it in a 7X11 pan?

Are you cutting the recipe in half? Or just using a smaller pan? If you are cutting the recipe in half, I would start with half the time and go from there, checking every 3-5 minutes.

Robin October 5, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Silly question perhaps, but when you are making one or both of these to freeze, are you baking them first, and then baking again post-thaw to heat through? Trying to get some freezer handy foods beyond crockpot-dump-bags, and this looks like a good one to do that with–one that we all will enjoy–and I’d hate to ruin this by not doing it correctly. 🙂

I don’t bake them prior to freezing.

Robin Reply: