Enchiladas de Pollo y Queso (aka. Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas)

September 30, 2008

This recipe is the best chicken enchilada recipe I have found.  I can’t remember were I got this recipe, I believe on the Internet somewhere if you know please let me know.  It is soooooo good. The sauce has the perfect amount of spice and cheesiness.

I used the Sticky Chicken recipe for the chicken so this adds loads and loads of flavor, as well as I used 1 cup of the juice dripping from the bottom of the sticky chicken crock pot, I just skimmed the fat off.

Ingredients: 5 T butter, 1 Medium onion,  2 cups cooked chicken, 1 can green chilies, 1/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 T chili powder, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 cup sour cream, 1 package Monterrey Jack Cheese, 1 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 cup drippings from sticky chicken, and 10 Corn Tortillas.

Photobucket

Melt 2 T butter, add onions

PhotobucketPhotobucket

While onions are cooking melt 3 T butter in a separate pot, add flour

PhotobucketPhotobucket

and whisk in chili and cumin

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Whisk in 1 cup sticky chicken dripping, and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.  I use the sticky chicken dripping because it adds so much more flavor, but if you don’t have this just use 2 1/2 cups chicken broth.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Once onions are browned, add chicken and green chilies, mix and set aside

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Add 1 cup sour cream to sauce and 1/2 cup cheese, stir until melted

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Pour half of the sauce over the chicken mixture

Photobucket

Spoon into tortillas and roll into casserole dish

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Add sauce on top and the rest of the Monterrey Cheese

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes

Photobucket

Enjoy with rice and beans.

Photobucket

Enchiladas de Pollo y Queso (aka. Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas)

5 T butter
1 medium onion
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
4 oz chopped green chilies
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 T chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack
12 corn tortillas

Melt 2 T. butter and cook onions until softened, turn off heat. Add chicken and green chilies. Set aside.

Melt remaining butter. Blend in flour and seasonings. Whisk in chicken broth. Cook, stirring until sauce boils. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese.

Stir 1/2 cup sauce into chicken mixture. Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and roll up. Place in 9×13 pan. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 25 minutes.  They freeze well, just defrost and bake normal time.

Menu Plan Monday « Newlyweds!
September 30, 2008 at 11:48 am
Sticky Chicken in Crock Pot « Newlyweds!
September 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

Lisa@blessedwithgrace September 30, 2008 at 11:05 am

Thanks for this recipe. I like the sticky chicken and the enchilada recipes! Yeah you!!

gingela5 September 30, 2008 at 11:23 am

Oh my goodness…I will have to try this ASAP! It looks DIVINE! Thank you so SO much for sharing!

Menu Plan Monday « Newlyweds! September 30, 2008 at 11:48 am

[…] Friday: Enchilades De Pollo Y Queso […]

Sticky Chicken in Crock Pot « Newlyweds! September 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

[…] Use for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken like Enchiladas De Pollo Y Queso […]

heidi September 30, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Oh my word. I wasn’t going to click because Chicken Enchiladas are my fave and they’re on the no-o list right now. But I clicked. *drool*

Deanna September 30, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Trying to figure out how to climb through the screen and scarf down that entire recipe. Oh yum!

Lana September 30, 2008 at 2:22 pm

OMG I can not wait to make this. What can I say… we are in Texas so enchiladas are a favorite!

Gina September 30, 2008 at 3:30 pm

This looks really good! I cant wait to try making it myself!

Karen September 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Those look yummy!

robin@heartofwisdom.com September 30, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Awesome–This looks awesome!
Good Job MOM!

Come by and see me!!!!
robin@heartofwisdom.com

I have two blog post this Tuesday.
Photos of our typical morning on my personal blog at http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

and an explanation of Changes at my homeschool blog

Lisa@blessedwithgrace January 9, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Just wanted you to know that I just finished making this dish. Can’t wait to eat it, tonight!!! I KNOW we will love it.

Overwhelmed With Joy! April 4, 2009 at 12:14 am

Yummm!!! Just looking at the pictures is making me hungry! 🙂

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday Mexican Dishes Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

sara April 30, 2009 at 1:14 pm

These look SO good. I’ve never tried the sticky chicken, but will have to now!

Megan April 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm

These look fantastic! I’m anxious to try out your sticky chicken as well.

Jerri May 1, 2009 at 4:14 pm

These look awesome!

sara May 5, 2009 at 8:47 am

I made these last night. MMMMM…. they are SOOO good. This is the best enchilada recipe I have ever tried – I posted it on my blog today for Cinco de Mayo linking up to yours since I got it from here! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cole November 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Okay, Doll. I just gotta say something. I absolutely LOVE everything about your blog. I love the pictures, I love getting to see your boys grow, I love your garden, I love Newlywed Thursday and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipes. I read everyone of your blogs. Keep up the good work!

Sarah May 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

OK, I love these! I made them for a friend that just had a baby and made us a pan as well. We didn’t get to eat ours until 3 or 4 days later and they were fantastic! I put them together all the way through – just didn’t bake them. So just FYI in case you were wondering- they are a good make ahead meal.

Amber Reply:

@Sarah,

How long did you bake them for after taking them out of the freezer? Did you thaw them? Thanks!

@Amber, Great question, you can either bake them frozen for about 1 hour or until thoroughly heated through, or you can let them defrost and bake for about 30 minutes. Hope you enjoy them.

Amber Reply:

@Sweet Pea,
Thank you so much, I’m making this for a girlfriend who is due in a few weeks. Poor thing gets no maternity leave and is using her 4 vacation days to spend with her son after he is born before having to return to work. Hubby is out of work, its just so sad. 🙁 Looking forward to getting it (and 5 or 6 more meals….) to her though, I think they will enjoy! Have a great day!

shannon August 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I made these monday night. I made the sticky chicken the day before… both recipes were awesome. thank you! also something that i had a problem with was the tortillas breaking on me. i needed to heat them in the microwave for a bit…a helpful hint to anyone having that problem.

also my boyfriend said they tasted like chimichanga…so we are calling them. chimiladas. chimichanga enchiladas

they are definitely in the dinner rotation now.

Debbie Andrews December 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Looks devine! With that much butter it has to be! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Adrienne C December 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

oh. yum. must. try. This is going on the list for the next menu planning session!

Heather Schraeder August 21, 2015 at 6:47 am

Hello Sweet Pea!!
I know this is old news, but I just saw this, this morning. I was searching for the Chicken Enchilada Casserole that my parents made when I was a teenager (my Dad is half Mexican.) I have always LOVED this meal, especially when my parents would use leftover, smoked Thanksgiving turkey to fill the tortillas. I’m not sure where you got this exact recipe, as there are a few changes. However, I believe that the Original recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cookbook, copyright 1977. That recipe is nearly identical to this one, with some notable differences. In the BHG cookbook, 1 tsp ground coriander seed and 3/4 tsp salt were used instead of chili and cumin. They also used 1 cup onion and 1/2 cup green bell pepper, instead of only 1 small onion. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was looking for a copy of it to put into my Cozi Recipe Box. It is such a great dish, I plan to have it next Sunday after church. And, I definitely want to try using the Sticky Chicken in it. 🙂